cry for help - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

cry for help

I am new to the forum, so hello. I have been searching threads for the last week or so hoping some one would have had the same problem. Not quite. Now I need help.

I have an 1985 VN700. I am new to being an automotive mechanic and still learning. Don't know much about bikes besides what I have managed to fix or replace on mine.

Here is the issue. At midrange RPM the bike just surges. Acting like it is running out of gas. Problem two: tach bounces. Read that the ignitor is signal. So the contacts were cleaned and that didn't help.

Thought it was a clogged jet. But no. I rebuilt the carbs. Replace the fuel and vacuum lines. The carbs were synched. So I decided to test the ignitor itself. I got something like 23.6 MO on a few of the terminals and decided it was bad. So I ebayed one and replaced it. SAME PROBLEM. (the original was visually bad. I am curious and cracked it open and it was all green and corroded on the inside.)

Did I get a bad ignitor? Am I cursed? What else could this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If the ignitor were bad, the engine wouldn't run. It either works, or it doesn't. Semiconductors in this situation have no middle ground.
See the phantom out of gas syndrome threads for possible fix.
Bouncing tach can also be wiring from front coil to tach. See previous post by Poggi.
It could also be a vacuum leak or it could be your carb vent line is hanging in the breeze rather than stuck in the right ear where it goes.
We need more info to help you isolate the problem.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542

Last edited by Sky Rider; 07-29-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Love My Baby

Problem one could be the phantom out of gas syndrome. Do a search for that on this forum and you'll find some tips. I found that letting go of the throttle, then just slightly and slowly opening the throttle gets me past this problem. Others have stated that it's a clogged gas cap vent or tank vent. Check it out.

Can't help you with problem two. Sorry.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Can you please explain the "carb vent line stuck in the right ear to me"? (I just may be a little slow)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

By the way. The phanton gas problem seems to not be the same thing entirely. They are all pretty much saying half a tank of gas. Mine is full. And it does not seem like enought time to make a vacuum in the tank. This doesn't happen after a certain amount of time running. It happens all of the time.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM

There is a vent line that connects the two carb bowls together with a T fitting. One end mounts in the right ear. This allows the air to escape from the carb bowls so gas can flow in. If it is flapping in the breeze, it may set up a positive pressure in the bowls so fuel can't flow into the bowls or is restricted. Our bikes are gravity fed, there is no fuel pump. Cut the end off at 45 degrees or so to prevent it from bottoming out in the ear, and remount it. If it's in there already, pull it cut it, remount it. A plugged vent can cause similar symptoms as well.
We'll try the easy things first.

Here is a link to the vent line diagram I mentioned.
https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...o=1757&cat=503

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542

Last edited by Sky Rider; 07-29-2008 at 12:02 AM. Reason: added thread to pic of vent system.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

I will give that a try and let you know tommorow. I was a little confused on the 700 it goes up into the plastic air box above the carbs. Thanks for helping.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:23 AM

Goes to the same place on the 750.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMess View Post
I will give that a try and let you know tommorow. I was a little confused on the 700 it goes up into the plastic air box above the carbs. Thanks for helping.
tell ya what i did, on the bowl there r the 2 hoses like theyre saying but where they come to a t i just took the hose off. this way i just have 2 hoses from the bowls into a t and 1 side of the t has nothing on it, this way it cant plug.

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

I am REALLY confused and I know I sound dumb. I took the carbs out and put the back how I found them. Here is my issue now. The red line from the fuel return pump is broken and was kinked. There also is a green line. That went to no where. Where i have the lines routed that is where the t-ed lines from the carbs went (into a 45 elbow on the bottom of the air box) Now appenerntly that is where my green line should be. And I do not see where that vacuum line should go into the right ear. I have the rectangle duct and a square opening for air to enter. Should there be a boot there to take those lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement