Headlight went out and engine doesn't start - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)
 
Headlight went out and engine doesn't start

Yesterday on a trip, suddenly my headlight went out and wen i wanted to stop aside the road and the engine went to low rotation speed the engine went out and i could not get it on again.
I changed the headlight bulb and for a few seconds the light was there again, but i still could not start the engine.
Can it be there is something wrong with the conjunction box or headlight or starter circuit relay. If so do i have replace the whole junction box ??

I hope my dealer will picup my bike asap because it stands outside along the road and i am home. Bahh i hate this.

Vn750 American model

Dingo, Netherlands
dingo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Sgt Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hagerstown, Md
Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)
 
Re: Headlight went out and engine doesn't start

Yes it could the junction box. Go to the simple stuff first. How is the battery condition? Does the engine crank over when you hit the starter button? Do you have a maintenance free battery? If you don't you should get one. Need more info.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo
Yesterday on a trip, suddenly my headlight went out and wen i wanted to stop aside the road and the engine went to low rotation speed the engine went out and i could not get it on again.
I changed the headlight bulb and for a few seconds the light was there again, but i still could not start the engine.
Can it be there is something wrong with the conjunction box or headlight or starter circuit relay. If so do i have replace the whole junction box ??

I hope my dealer will picup my bike asap because it stands outside along the road and i am home. Bahh i hate this.

Vn750 American model

Dingo, Netherlands

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
Sgt Mike is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)
 
Thumbs up Re: Headlight went out and engine doesn't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mike
Yes it could the junction box. Go to the simple stuff first. How is the battery condition? Does the engine crank over when you hit the starter button? Do you have a maintenance free battery? If you don't you should get one. Need more info.
Thanks for replying
Battery is okee, all other lights are well and bright and the engine does rotate but makes after a few rotations a stange klickking noise when i hit the start button. I have no Maintenance free battery.

I just went back to see my bike is still there, and it was :-)
I dit see that all fuses were okee
The tail- and other lights are weak now beacause i dit start the battery allmost empty, the head light is not burning at all. When trying to start the same klikking noise is comming out of the starter-engine.

It seems to be that i can not fix this all and hope tomorrow the dealer is comming to pick it up, he is closed now :-(
dingo is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
DMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Posts: 650
iTrader: (2)
 
Re: Headlight went out and engine doesn't start

It may seems silly, but try jiggling the ignition key in the ignition (turn it counterclockwise a fraction after turning it to "on").

I've had some very odd things happen electrically because I've got a worn ignition. At time, half my lights can go out, blinkers don't work, etc... (Though I've never had any starting problems because of it). I'm going to rebuild it shortly.

Best of luck.


Anthony
1985 VN700 (Priscilla) Sold
-------------------------------------------------------
Helpful Links -->>
Search | Vulcan Verses | VN750 Gallery | VN750 Items on Ebay | Link to VN750.com
DMAG is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Sgt Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hagerstown, Md
Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)
 
Re: Headlight went out and engine doesn't start

If the battery is ok then I would start checking for bad or corroded ground/earth connections. But I suspect that the battery is bad. If all of that is ok, then the charging system may be at fault (stator and or regulator/rectifier), and you don't want the the stator to be the problem, big job to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo
Thanks for replying
Battery is okee, all other lights are well and bright and the engine does rotate but makes after a few rotations a stange klickking noise when i hit the start button. I have no Maintenance free battery.

I just went back to see my bike is still there, and it was :-)
I dit see that all fuses were okee
The tail- and other lights are weak now beacause i dit start the battery allmost empty, the head light is not burning at all. When trying to start the same klikking noise is comming out of the starter-engine.

It seems to be that i can not fix this all and hope tomorrow the dealer is comming to pick it up, he is closed now :-(

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
Sgt Mike is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)
 
Thumbs down Re: Headlight went out and engine doesn't start

This is **** !
I know now what it is.
The stator is down, I have to take the engine out to replace it.
dingo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome