Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Generator cover wires

I've got an oil leak at the generator cover where the stator wires come through. This situation came with the bike when I purchased it a month ago, and I've attempted to plug the leak with Permatex on top of the previous owner's pile of attempted repair goo. With continued failure to stop the leak, I decided to clean everything off and start from scratch. What I found underneath has me a little confused.

Where I was expecting three wires, there are actually a total of seven. 3 black wires together, then a bundle of four (can't tell their colors) in a tube. There appears to be no hint of a grommet.

Also, the shape of the cutout doesn't seem to match the grommet on the used stator I picked up to send to TPE. Anybody know what's going on here?

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
1983 GL650i in pieces. Someday it will ride again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 08:37 AM

There's three stator wires, normally solid yellow.

Four wires - one pair to each pickup coil for the ignition.

I'm pretty sure TPE will send the right grommet with the new stator (let them know you need it), been a while since I did mine and haven't found the pictures yet. Recall my grommet being double what's on your stator, with two holes.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay,great. Didn't realize the ignition pickups routed through there. Do they have a separate grommet to route through?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj View Post
Okay,great. Didn't realize the ignition pickups routed through there. Do they have a separate grommet to route through?
Couldn't find my pics of the new stator, so I went to look at the bike. Still can't tell if that's one grommet or two. I'll try to find those pics.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. Either my spare stator has the wrong grommet (or isn't even from a 750) or I'm also missing a grommet on the ignition wires.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
There's definitely a grommet on the pickup harness in the parts diagram.
Somebody royally screwed this thing up. No grommet on either harness?!?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:35 AM

Found the pics of the new stator in the case, but they don't show the grommet well enough. Now I'm thinking there were two grommets, stacked.

The stator wires from TPE were solid white.

2003-21k mi

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 05:45 PM

I think your spare stator has the right grommet, but you're missing the grommet for the pickups. Here's another stock stator with grommet to look at: Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 Stator Statore Generator Generador Générateur | eBay

2003-21k mi

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I'm definitely missing the second grommet. I'll need to find a source for the pickup grommet.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

There are two separate grommets, one for the three yellow stator wires, and one for the pickup coil wires. There are 2 pickups, one for each cylinder, with 2 wires each. The grommets go into the slot side by side. Mine leaked just a little for several years before the stator finally failed. For a long time I just stuck a piece of a paper towel down into one of the crannies below the leak to soak up the oil. I finally cleaned off all the oil around the grommets with carb cleaner, and sealed the leak with silicone. That lasted until the stator failed. While I had it apart to replace the stator, I used a lot of Permatex Ultra Black RTV around the grommets while putting everything back together, and so far after a couple hundred miles it does not leak.

I also have the TPE stator, and it came with connectors on it. But I cut them off, and soldered the wires together, put heat shrink tubing on the connections, then put both the stator wire and pickup wires in a single piece of split plastic conduit. I rerouted the wires on top of the engine case rather than under, like it came stock.

One thing I noticed about the TPE stator that's different from stock is the wires are black instead of yellow, they are a LOT stiffer, and the insulation is virtually heatproof. My method of stripping wires to avoid breaking any strands has long been to use a lighter to melt the insulation, then pull it off the wire between my thumb and forefinger. With the yellow wires this worked easily, but the black wires from the stator were a real PITA. The insulation simply would not soften. I finally did manage to get it off the 3 wires a little bit at the time, after pretty much using up a new disposable lighter. Hopefully this means the TPE stator will be a bit more heat resistant than the stock one. I'm still convinced that engine heat rather than high electrical resistance is what is killing the stators.

As far as a replacement grommet, they are not available from Kawasaki. They are a part of the pickup coil wiring harness, and are molded onto the wires. You will need to find some high temp rubber and make one. Did you find any pieces of it in the engine? Most likely the heat baked it, and it just crumbled. That also may be what's happening to the balancer dampers. The bottom end of this engine seems to run really hot.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 11-02-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement