2005 Vulcan 750 OPT7 LED headlight - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

2005 Vulcan 750 OPT7 LED headlight

Hi guys,

Wanted to post about my experience so far with the OPT7 LED headlight I installed today. Also, Calebj mentioned thinking about this light in an earlier post so I wanted to pipe up.

Basically, unsatisfied.

Pros: Installation was a breeze, plugs right in, and with some wiggling everything fits back in the headlight housing. Light is much brighter. Relatively inexpensive (ebay was $55 or so)

Cons: It flickers on low beam, and illuminates the "headlight" light w/low beam. Biggest complaint tho - the way the LEDs light up on low vs high beam is incorrect. Instead of illuminating only the top LEDs (similar to the factory bulb) so low beam shines down and does not blind oncoming traffic, it lights up both the top and bottom LEDs on low (similar to factory bulb HIGH beam). Then on high beam it kicks on the other two top and bottom LEDs. This causes low and high beams to illuminate the same way, just one is a little dimmer than the other. So unless you adjust the headlight to point more downward, you will blind oncoming traffic even on low beam.

I'm going to contact OPT7 and see what they recommend. The package specifically says "Built-in Error Cancellor to avoid error warning" so I was led to think it would not cause the "headlight" indicator to come on.

Anyway, more later on this bat channel....

2005 Vulcan 750, 19k miles
Harley pipes of some kind
Kuryakyn Lic Plate Turn Signal Relocator P/N 3155
Splines lubed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 PM

Garage
The flickering has to be a function of the reserve lighting unit. I'm actually curious if that would explain the other weird symptoms as well. Try bypassing that temporarily and see how it behaves.
Thanks for posting your experience. Very curious to see if it improves with an RLU bypass.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:29 AM

Garage
Any progress with this?

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
1983 GL650i in pieces. Someday it will ride again.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok well I just returned it. Got in touch with OPT7 and explained the whole thing, hoped they might have a way to actually adjust which LEDs on the bulb would come on to properly reflect (and not blind oncoming traffic) but no such luck.

I even drew a little picture for them to understand what I was talking about with the LEDs and the reflector. I've attached it in case anyone is curious.

So anyway, I put in a Silverstar Ultra. The light is good (better than the Philips bulb that was in there) but certainly not the power that the LED had.

I still want to search around for an LED that lights properly, or maybe even try to fabricate one myself ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0002.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	26361  

2005 Vulcan 750, 19k miles
Harley pipes of some kind
Kuryakyn Lic Plate Turn Signal Relocator P/N 3155
Splines lubed
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 PM

Garage
I'm still not clear that it was lighting up the way it was designed, as the RLU going into a failure prevention state could explain both LEDs flickering back and forth or partially lighting the wrong ones.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, without bypassing the RLU, there is no way to know for sure if it was lighting the wrong led's.

on a normal incandescent bulb, the RLU will sense if the low beam (or high, if switch is in high position) is intact and flowing current. if it is, all is normal. if the filament is blown, (no current flow thru that filament), it will switch to the other filament, so that you have SOME form of headlight.

with an led (which draws a lot less current), it will get confused and rapidly switch between the 2 (high and low) circuits.

also, a standard incandescent headlight bulb under normal operating conditions, only lights either the high beam filament, or the low beam filament (not both at once). Flash to pass features will allow both the be lit, presumably for a short time only. However, I have driven down the road for miles with both lit on an older car I had, because the headlights where about as powerful as a single small candle

Many led headlight bulbs are not properly focused in many headlight reflectors, due to the different placement of the actual device that emits the light (the led itself), is in a different postion, and has different light emission patterns than the incandescent filament. that can cause improper beam formation as it exits the reflector and lens assy.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

Last edited by michiganteddybear; 11-02-2015 at 09:52 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:10 PM

Garage
Just to give this thread some closure - I've now installed the same OPT7 headlight on my 86 and it's working fine. I bypassed the RLU by jumping blue to blue/yellow at the connector. Dimmer switch works fine and the light output is much improved.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:14 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj View Post
Just to give this thread some closure - I've now installed the same OPT7 headlight on my 86 and it's working fine. I bypassed the RLU by jumping blue to blue/yellow at the connector. Dimmer switch works fine and the light output is much improved.
Thanks for this, ordering one right away!

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
Thanks for this, ordering one right away!
For what it's worth, they're cheaper per bulb if you buy them in 2 packs. Last I looked, it was about $55-60 for one, or $100 for two. Doesn't matter if you buy the motorcycle or automotive set, it's exactly the same box. Might save you a few dollars that way if you want to upgrade the lights on two of your motorcycles.

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
1983 GL650i in pieces. Someday it will ride again.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj View Post
For what it's worth, they're cheaper per bulb if you buy them in 2 packs. Last I looked, it was about $55-60 for one, or $100 for two. Doesn't matter if you buy the motorcycle or automotive set, it's exactly the same box. Might save you a few dollars that way if you want to upgrade the lights on two of your motorcycles.
Actually that will work out; I'm working on my wife's VN here this next week so she'll need an upgraded bulb too!

Cheers for the tip

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover