Ignition Switch and Light problems. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Ignition Switch and Light problems.

Greetings All, Just bought a 1986 750 Vulcan, Really like the bike, in the process of restoreing it back some, runs great, my problem is I noticed the Ignition would not go into lock, just off, everything else worked fine. Put some wd-40 into key hole, still not able to push key down and get into lock, Decided to remove ignition switch and worked and cleaned key lock until it was freely moveing, Put the Ignition wire part back on and replaced it and now the Tail light comes on when in lock position and headlight no longer comes on. Still runs great, also another problem that prior owner had was overheating, The fan only came on for a short time and then cut off so I installed a toggle switch to ground, at the radiator fan temp wirep plug, that works great but I think it is a related problem.
Would like some advice from minds smarter than mine on this issue.
I think that electric ignition module on the bottom of the key lock is bad.
Not sure how to prove that. And why is the wires soldered and not a plug, in play there.

Ride Safe
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You may need to tear your ignition switch apart again and make sure everything lines up. If it worked before you "fixed" it, it's something you did.
The fan problem may be a relay in the junction/fuse box. It seems to go bad easily. Your mod has been used as a work around and is OK as long as you remember to turn it off when the bike is off.
You'll have to ask Kawasaki why it's soldered with no plug.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:34 AM
the doctor

Tom - remember that the fan is to come on only for a short time then turn off when the temp has been lowered then turn back on for a few if the temp goes high again, if this is what is happening then this is what it is designed to do, the switch fix shows that the relay is working. As to the ign switch my '86 is the same on the under side of the switch case underneath a protective covering. If you disasembled the case completely then you have an internal conection problem. If you know how to use an ohmmeter and I assume you can remove the whole switch check the wiring as per the manual. If you need a manual there is a website that you can download from search this site or someone who remembers will tell us where to find it I am sure. Hope this helps let me know if I can help further I have been there also and had to change out the ign switch to get mine to start. the doctor

bringing together
a dead
'86 VN750
"it's alive":"krechure"

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 AM
the doctor

additional info website is

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf

this is a long and large download but worth it for the manual.

bringing together
a dead
'86 VN750
"it's alive":"krechure"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement