Original stator - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Original stator

Does anyone know how to tell if you have an original stator? I do not see any marks on the one I am replacing to indicate the manufacturer.

I am replacing it with a Rick's stator (faster than waiting to get mine rewound and notice a significant difference in how wide the 2 are. The one originally on the bike is approximately 1/8" wider. As near as I can tell with my old eyes the number of plates is very close to the same but may be thinner on the Rick's stator. There is no real evidence that it has been replaced but then again I would not know (23,742 miles on an 05 and bought used from a guy who only put a few hundred miles on it according to the title change).

I am replacing the Regulator since I have a new one (bought 3 years ago just to have on hand in case I needed it) but the on still mounted under the battery still tests fine. The stator went fast. I replaced the AGM battery because it was getting old (still good but about 5 years old). My son and I went for a ride and it died a block from the house. Started right up and we rode about 7 miles to a restaurant and she was DOA. I put in another battery to get home and she was charging a little low 12.8 at 2000 then climbing slowly up to 13.9 a 4500. When I reached down to check the wires one leg was so hot it burnt my fingers. That was it. The next check showed every leg shorted to ground.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 06:34 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Ricks (and other cheapo aftermarket stators) have less copper due to being less densely wound, and thus are overall thinner. The coating on the copper is also thin and sometimes bad from factory (aka, a lower quality, cheaper product).

I'd probably send yours old one off to get rewound and just save it for a rainy day.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Angry Stock Stator.

That was my plan to begin with. Now I am concerned about the width. I used my digital (el cheapo HF) mic and measured the width of the plates on the top of the stator where the insulating paint does not cover them. My old one is right at 18 mm and the Ricks is right at 15 mm. I am using mm because it is the closest to being dead on and until I looked at the difference between a 10mm bolt head and a 13mm I really had not stopped plowing ahead trying to get done today. 3 mm is a BIG difference. I assumed the wiring and coatings were smaller just because that is the way it is now. I did not think about how thin the plates may be and I actually don't know if it makes a difference. I do think that if the plates are smaller, the wire gauge and the number of windings may be less as well. (Of course it is not like you can power a winch with these bikes either.

However, research has shown me that many companies won't rewind anything but OEM stators and I was waiting to R & R this one before contacting TPE. Given the size difference I would really like to know if my old one is OEM or aftermarket. It would seem as though bigger is better. Right now I have stopped reassembly until I can contact Ricks and make sure this is the right stator (the number on the box is right) and since this is a holiday they probably will not contact me until Tuesday. Other than the width of the plates it fits perfect although given the number of additional holes it probably fits many other applications as well. Sure as hell is hot, I am going to regret not getting a tux plate.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:52 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I have an OEM out of a bike ill check it sometime this week with my HF digital caliper and let you know the results.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, If you don't mind check it to see it it has anything that indicates it is a Kawasaki OEM marked on it. I will try to post some pictures later to show the difference.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:18 AM

I don't recall any marks on mine, looked it over close before I sent it to TPE.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

It would seem to me that if the stator is narrower it would not put out the power of the stock stator. Maybe that is why so many people are now experiencing stator failures from Rick's and TPE than used to. Both either rewind your stator or require a core to be rewound. If they start with a cheap China knock off it may never be possible to get a good quality rebuilt stator. Almost 1/8 of an inch is a lot. I don't know a lot about electricity but I would think that they would have to use thin wire to make the same number of windings.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:00 AM

As far as I know, not that many TPEs are failing. I do know of one member here that had his TPE rewind fail. Otherwise, we see a lot of the other brand stators failing and warn people to avoid them.

Can't say what TPE is doing now, but did talk with Tim at length when he rewound mine. He told me about being in business with the other person and leaving because of their conflicts about quality. His rewinds were supposed to put out 10% better than stock, using more turns of better quality wire. Been very happy with mine so far.

I marked my core to see if I got the same one back, and at the time, he said he would buy as many stock cores as I could send.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have been using a Rick's stator for 14,000 miles now. No problems at all. Puts out 13.2 volts at idle, 14.4 at 3000 rpms. eom

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Here are the pictures of the two stators. It is hard to tell the wire gauge on the Rick's because I don't want to compromise the Stator. You can see there are additional mounting holes on the Rick's and I really do not know how many other applications this fits. I went with Rick's because back when I joined the forum it was considered one of the best next to TPE. Now I can have my old one rewound by him and not worry about the time factor. (Although maybe I should have waited since this is taking so long now since I first ordered from Bike Bandit until today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side by side.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	26217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock 17-99 - Copy.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	26225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ricks 15-1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	26233  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement