Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Stator replacement

Has anyone replaced the stator and not removed the bevel gear housing? I am replacing one (stator) now and doing the rear tire at the same time. I am curious as to I can get enough slack from the drive shaft to enable me to "tilt" the engine enough to pull the stator? I like to moly as much of the splines on the drive shaft as I can when ever I change a tire so I might try it just to see anyway. But, no need to reinvent the wheel and if it can't be done I don't want to wast time. If no one has tried it I will post how it goes.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldnt be afraid of removing the front bevel gear housing (I have done it). only a few bolts to hold it on. no major oil loss when its removed either.

rear bevel gear (what has to be taken off to lube the splines) is pretty easy as well.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 09:15 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I think others have done it. If you have the rear off you can just pull the drive shaft out completely to give you space.

That being said it is easy to remove, just take note when removing it as some stuff can fall out.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 09:49 PM

I did it without removing the bevel gear. It's real easy to slip the shaft back onto the bevel splines with the rear gear off. It's harder to just get the rubber boot back over the bevel case.

Also did the engine tilt, didn't even unhook the throttle/choke cables or remove the carbs, but I did the earshave and coasters at the same time. The airbox being gone helps a lot. I used a floor jack, ratchet straps, and also a large wood mallet between the frame and front head to hold the space while doing the stator and balancer.

Have a few pics if you need them.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
If you have the rear off you can just pull the drive shaft out completely to give you space.
Driveshaft will only come out the front. But it will slide back far enough to come off the bevel splines.
thtanner likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Great. I managed to get it done as well. I haven't done the ear shave so the air box was a pain but I was able to leave everything attached but the carb boots, clutch cable and upper radiator hose (that gave some additional room to move the air box). rolling the rear wheel back a little seemed easier than making a bevel case gasket (which I forgot to order). Now on to reassembly. The forward splines look a little dry anyway so I am glad I pulled the drive shaft.
thtanner and minikrew like this.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

the forward spline require very little lubrication.. basically just enough to keep them from rusting together.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I have. But I have to remove the rear tire when going back together.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
I did it without removing the bevel gear. It's real easy to slip the shaft back onto the bevel splines with the rear gear off. It's harder to just get the rubber boot back over the bevel case.

Also did the engine tilt, didn't even unhook the throttle/choke cables or remove the carbs, but I did the earshave and coasters at the same time. The airbox being gone helps a lot. I used a floor jack, ratchet straps, and also a large wood mallet between the frame and front head to hold the space while doing the stator and balancer.

Have a few pics if you need them.

Just ordered all parts for stator replacement and spline lube. I'd love to see the pics you mention here. I'm planning a TuxedoMod but I'm doing it off-bike to lower chances/anxiety of debris problems. So the engine tilt sounds right up my alley. Thanks!
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick.park View Post
Just ordered all parts for stator replacement and spline lube. I'd love to see the pics you mention here. I'm planning a TuxedoMod but I'm doing it off-bike to lower chances/anxiety of debris problems. So the engine tilt sounds right up my alley. Thanks!
Here ya go, in no particular order. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jack placement allows sliding engine to the outside. Strap allows tilting forward/back and catches engine if it slips off the jack.

Strap runs between starter and oil filter, but under the water hose port, so it can't slide up.

Right side - jack placement with 2x6 wood block, strap under water hose neck.

Rerun ... wider shot

Mallet holds correct angle on the engine for clearance on the frame. Had nothing holding the mallet, good chance of bending the shifter shaft if the mallet and engine drops.

Left side, full tilt. Note: Balance damper gear is installed incorrectly on the balance weight. It's 180 off. Largest post of the weight belongs with the smaller hole of the gear, not the largest hole. She shook like crazy and I did the whole job again!

Left side, full tilt, mallet holding angle, strap from top frame tube, behind bevel gear then under and on to the front.
Thorn and Gaz73 like this.

2003-21k mi

Last edited by Spockster; 08-05-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement