Turn signal LED conversion--no more dual-load equalizers!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

Talking Turn signal LED conversion--no more dual-load equalizers!!!

As promised in a recent thread ("LEDs in saddlebags"), over the last week or so I got rid of my bike's factory turn signals/bulbs and stalks, and replaced them completely with LEDs.

Why, you might ask?....

For those not already familiar with the factory units over time, they can leak, then rust out on the inside. If a unit lasts long enough past that, then they sag. Either way, not cool.

Removing the signal stalks also gives the bike a cleaner look.

LEDs....on the other hand, don't rust, free up a good bit of electrical power for other accessories, have a much longer design life, and also resist vibration much, much better than regular bulbs. Besides, they just look cool!!!

Anyway, for those who would like to replace all of their bike's conventional turn signals/signal bulbs with LEDs, and aren't already aware of such, you can do so with an LED flasher relay like the one from Show Chrome Accessories (aka, Big Bike Parts). Even though this relay is usually shown as designed for Honda cruisers, this relay is also a direct replacement for the factory signal flasher relay located right behind our bike's battery tray (i.e., it's a direct swap-out with the OEM VN750 unit, no mods are needed here, & don't use the wiring harness that comes with it). No dual-load equalizer of any sort is then needed, and you can then enjoy the benefits of both front & rear LED turn signals (like lower power draw, & better reliability) on your bike. This flasher will yield a "normal" flash rate with LED signals on the VN750.

Both Dennis Kirk and J & P Cycles have this LED flasher relay in their inventory, but you can get the same thing a bit cheaper over at Cruiser Customizing (their part # is BBP-13-306):

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...oduct_ID=24415

This same relay will also accommodate our bike's four-way emergency signal flashers just fine.

I've dealt with Cruiser Customizing before, and they were prompt (and no, I don't work for them or with them). They allowed me to track my shipment via email link.

Warning: DO NOT use the above flasher with regular turn signal bulbs and the four-way flashers! The resulting current draw will fry this LED flasher's circuitry.

Also: avoid the cheaper flasher relay from K & S Technologies (K & S part #24-0005; Dennis Kirk part #21-3804), because its circuitry is not compatible with the flasher relay plug on the VN750.

One last suggestion: it would probably be a good idea to coat each of the terminals of the LED flasher relay with a dab or two of dielectric grease, just b4 installing it. This should later help keep corrosion there at bay.

Hope the above info helps!!!.....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 07-20-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Lots of good info there, thanks for posting it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
nice info...do the front turnsignals also still double as parkinglights?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

Slim, to answer your question: that depends on what LED product(s) you use, and how they are wired (dual-element circuit, or single-circuit).

These options and functions are really independent of the above-mentioned relay.

I'm not sure if this really answers your question or not...let us know.

-------

Otherwise, I guess a little further clarification is probably needed on the above relay discussion.

If all four of the regular turn signal bulbs/turn signals are replaced with LEDs, a digital flasher relay (or dual-load equalizer) of some kind will be required, as the resulting reduced current draw of the LEDs is not enough for the factory flasher relay to work.

This is why the above described digital flasher relay is available--it solves all these problems.

If only the front two (or back two) conventional bulbs/signals are swapped out with LEDs, the factory flasher relay will in fact still work. However, different flash rates between each side may still occur.

Again....hope this helps.....

'05 VN750

Last edited by theauhawk; 07-20-2008 at 10:43 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Addicted to Projects

Thanks for the info. I was looking into going LED.

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!

A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

You're welcome....

But if you're thinking about adding/switching to LEDs, be careful!

Many LED systems look good posted on their home websites, or in catalogues, but in truth....their light patterns are very "directional"...

By that I mean....they may look ok when viewed straight on, but step to the either side of their lense(s)....past about 30 degrees or so (at any real distance from them, that is), and they don't perform nearly as well as regular filament bulbs.

Also, they may not perform as well (as regular bulbs) in "dual element" mode as when not.

So if you buy LEDs, make sure they perform to your requirements vs regular bulbs--or make sure the vendor you get them from has an attractive returns policy, and the track record to back it up.

'05 VN750

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
1995 Vulcan 750

Can you give us some info on where you picked up your LED's and the model numbers you bought?
Thanks.
Al

GatecityAl
Al Lancto
Manchester, NH
1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1987 Yamaha Venture Royale
VROC #18753
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

For the marker lights, I used an amber-colored light kit from Swint LED systems. Amber marker lights help keep the cops at bay.

For the turn signals, and supplemental brake lights, I used flexible LED "arrays" (single-filaments only), from Radiantz.

All the above required a fair amount of customization.

Your results (with any of the above) will of course vary.

For the uninitiated, a good intro primer on adding mods like the above can be read at:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...ips/index.html

Good luck!....

'05 VN750

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:45 AM

Where did you put your marker lights? I've known about the issue of 'directional' lighting (LED) vs. 'omni-directional' bulbs so I did the traditional red rear and amber front marker lights to help shed some side lighting that was lost when switching to LED blinker, brake, running lights.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

My marker lights are on the windshield, the front forks....and on the swingarm (right side), and on an exhaust pipe bracket (left side).

Pics of this were posted in an earlier thread. You can see them here:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5791&page=2

'05 VN750

Sponsored Links
Advertisement