Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Stator Grommet Leak

On my new to me '86, the grommet appears to be FUBAR. A good portion of it is missing and oil is leaking around it. If I do the tux mod, does a new grommet simply push through from the inside and lock into the generator cover? Just trying to wrap my head around whether this can be repaired (not just band-aided with RTV) without pulling the engine.
Thanks!

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
1983 GL650i in pieces. Someday it will ride again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Crowley

No, it doesn't. It's designed to be slid into the cover sideways (like the direction the bolt goes) and it gets compressed.

Engine tilt might work for you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
How is the wiring for the stator removed with the tux mod?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Crowley

It is cut at either end of the grommet, a notch is cut in the outside cover, and a new grommet is supplied.

The tux mod requires only removing the three bolts and cutting the engine. The stator replace requires the second cover to be removed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay. I'm clear on the general function of the mod (cut the generator cover to allow stator removal, install the new mounting plate to the generator cover that allows reattachment of the stator). In my case, since the grommet is wrecked I'll need to install a new one in the original location or use silicone, then reattach the generator cover. On the outside cover, cut a second slot for the grommet allowing the stator grommet to be placed there instead. Is all that correct?

Thanks again for your help.

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

your replacement stator should include a new grommet, that slides into the existing slot in the case.

if not replacing the stator.. well, I cant help with that one.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:06 PM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj View Post
Okay. I'm clear on the general function of the mod (cut the generator cover to allow stator removal, install the new mounting plate to the generator cover that allows reattachment of the stator). In my case, since the grommet is wrecked I'll need to install a new one in the original location or use silicone, then reattach the generator cover. On the outside cover, cut a second slot for the grommet allowing the stator grommet to be placed there instead. Is all that correct?

Thanks again for your help.
Yes. If you are removing the generator "sandwich plate" (between the engine block and the three bolt cover plate), you might as well replace the stator the right way.

You can go as far as cutting the sandwich plate, reinstalling the stator with the wires coming out stock location, and not cut the cover plate.

In this way, you keep stock grommet location. Also, you can cut the sandwich plate while off the engine. Finally, all you need to do to replace the stator is cut the wires in stock location, and notch the cover plate to accept the new grommet.

Did all that make sense?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowley1027 View Post
Yes. If you are removing the generator "sandwich plate" (between the engine block and the three bolt cover plate), you might as well replace the stator the right way.

You can go as far as cutting the sandwich plate, reinstalling the stator with the wires coming out stock location, and not cut the cover plate.

In this way, you keep stock grommet location. Also, you can cut the sandwich plate while off the engine. Finally, all you need to do to replace the stator is cut the wires in stock location, and notch the cover plate to accept the new grommet.

Did all that make sense?
Yes - it all makes perfect sense. Not what I wanted the truth to be, but I'm glad to know it. Short term I'll try to clean things up as well as possible and see if I can get a functional seal with Right Stuff permatex (recommended by a few users for this exact issue). Long term I'll start making plans for an engine pull to repair this and do a simultaneous tux mod and any needed maintenance while I'm in that far. Probably a late Winter project.

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Crowley

Depending on oil pressure, I don't know how that will work out for you.

We shall see. I wish the best for you
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm not following - we're just talking about an area being splashed by oil rather than under direct pressure. How would that be affected?

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement