Intermittent headlight failure. Need ideas. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spockster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent headlight failure. Need ideas.

So the other night my headlight, and only my headlight, went out. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why it's turning on or off.

I checked the fuses and they seem to be good if old and looked for obvious wire issues under the seat (found a black widows nest with alive spiders. no fun).

I replaced the newer slightly brighter bulb with the older one and got no change in weirdness.

Thoughts?

"For practice is better than art. Your exercise does well without the art, but the art is not much good without the exercise." -Hanko Dobringer, 1389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:09 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I would think maybe a short if it's that intermittent and the obvious issues were checked for. Other than that could be an issue within the JB? slim will probably have a more detailed analysis.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Try the headlight bypass mod.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Karp View Post
So the other night my headlight, and only my headlight, went out. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why it's turning on or off.

I checked the fuses and they seem to be good if old and looked for obvious wire issues under the seat (found a black widows nest with alive spiders. no fun).

I replaced the newer slightly brighter bulb with the older one and got no change in weirdness.

Thoughts?
You may have a problem with the headlight relay. Do a search here for the " headlight relay bypass ". Simple to do and if the light comes on your problem is solved.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
You may have a problem with the headlight relay. Do a search here for the " headlight relay bypass ". Simple to do and if the light comes on your problem is solved.
OK. I checked the Hi/Lo switch. And it was in shape.

It seems to happen shortly after I start and can come back on without warning. So I figure I'll check the junction box & examine the relay.

I assume that the reason for the bypass solution is that the relay isn't on non-US/Can bikes and doesn't affect usability much?

"For practice is better than art. Your exercise does well without the art, but the art is not much good without the exercise." -Hanko Dobringer, 1389
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 05:23 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Karp View Post
OK. I checked the Hi/Lo switch. And it was in shape.

It seems to happen shortly after I start and can come back on without warning. So I figure I'll check the junction box & examine the relay.

I assume that the reason for the bypass solution is that the relay isn't on non-US/Can bikes and doesn't affect usability much?
The relay just keeps the headlight off during startup (the voltage from the stator turns on the headlight). Bypassing it means the headlight is on whenever you turn on the key. A lot of bikes are like this (my VFR's lights turn on right away), but the VN added that relay to give extra cranking power. Not a big deal with modern AGM batteries though so safe to bypass imo.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

OK. So it looks like the headlight is behaving again after doing the blue wire relay bypass. This means that the relay is bad right?

Also there is a plug right below the junction box that is a bit disolved on top. WHat is it and how can I patch the issue/ stop it from getting worse?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 03:44 AM

You may have some interfering corrosion/loose connectivity in the junction box where the headlight bypass relay is located rather than a bad relay per se. When an electrical relay goes bad, it is usually all or nothing, and not an intermittent short type of problem. Try cleaning any road grime or corrosion in that junction box area and maybe silicone patch that funky dissolved spot on the top of the box. That may lend to intermittent moisture problems etc. The headlight only pulls 55 watts on low beam anyway if on during starting. Your blue wire bypass sounds like a decent fix for now. Good luck.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 AM

The spades in those plugs at the JB can get loose over time. Had to pinch them tighter on mine to get the fan working. Have to release them from the plug, then squeeze them slightly with pliers.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:03 AM

Thought this was worth adding, since you've already had electrical problems. I'm recommending this JB bypass to everyone as a preventative measure. Needs written up into a sticky.

The wires in this bypass have been proven linked to: Start button - failure to function, Charging system- brownouts, failure to charge, lower peak charge voltage. (possibly another I'm forgetting)

Quote:
The Fix: Clipped two wires off the 10-pin JB plug: black/ red and yellow/red, spliced these two together. Note: this will bypass neutral and clutch lever safety start switches
In at least three recent discussions, this bypass has cured problems on 3 bikes, on one other, it failed to help. It's so easy to do, and can't hurt unless one can't ride without nanny switches.

1) Mine with a dead start button and charging brownout/low peak charge on a new TPE/MOSFET system. Start button fixed and peak charge increased by 1v to 14.5v, no more brownouts to 12.5v.

2) michiganteddy bear, Start button function restored. (he did this bypass before I did)

3)thtanner, new TPE/MOSFET not charging at all, restored to 14.5v (did the bypass last weekend)

Here's the thread where I did mine: https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...wont-work.html

thtanner's thread: https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...-replaced.html

michiganteddybear's thread: https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...-cranking.html
Whop Rang likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement