Click, click, click...Bike won't start - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Click, click, click...Bike won't start

I have read through prior threads but have not found exactly what I am experiencing. I have lights so the battery is not dead but when I hit the start button I just get continual clicking from the RH side cover. When it happened yesterday for the first time it sounded almost like something was stuck...could that be the starter motor? Where do I start...how would I test the solenoid, motor...etc. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
The clicking sound is the solenoid...lightly tap the starter..or better yet get your bike rolling and let out the clutch..then try to restart the bike...see if that helps...sounds like the starter is going out...there is one on ebay right now along with a solenoid from the same seller
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

I had the feeling it may be the starter...should I just replace the solenoid while I am replacing the starter? Also I see you are coming to Fort Drum in August...make sure you check out Alexandria Bay...nice place.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Also would it be beneficial to rebuild the starter motor myself or just replace?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 02:15 AM

Make sure you check your NEG battery cable is grounded. This happened to me not too long ago and the part that grounds had broken off.

Mike B.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 03:52 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Yes, I am moving to Drum, I might be there as early as next week. Alexandria Bay...sounds like fun. As far as the starter always better to replace unless you have rewound one b4...and as far as the solenoid, i would test it..ill dig out the ts procedures in the morning.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 AM

All I needed to do was to clean up the brass contacts inside the starter - forgot what the real name for them - but that was years ago and it's still working. Also, just because you have lights, doesn't mean you have amps to turn your starter, have your battery checked or replace it with a AGM MF batt.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Now what

Before you start pulling the starter apart, take the battery to a battery shop and ask them to load test it for you. Once you know the battery is good, have at it.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrack650 View Post
All I needed to do was to clean up the brass contacts inside the starter - forgot what the real name for them - but that was years ago and it's still working. Also, just because you have lights, doesn't mean you have amps to turn your starter, have your battery checked or replace it with a AGM MF batt.

DT
Those brass contacts are called brushes...and yes a good scraping on them to remove the carbon can do the trick quiet nicely.

I would also check to make sure the positive lead on the starter is tight.on both the starter and on the solenoid. Loose wires can be a nightmare...also try cranking the bike over then feel the temp of the starter...should be warm, but not hot...a hot starter indicates the brushes or windings are bad. if it is cool, it indicates you aren't getting the propper voltage to the starter.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 AM

I used to have this happen all the time...

both on my cycle and on my car. You have lights, radio, everything seems like the battery is OK, but when you hit the starter all you get is some impotent clicking.

Before you do ANYTHING, check the battery connection. Disconnect and clean the cables and battery terminals. Hook it back up, and I'll bet it will start right up.

Don't know how many batteries, alternators, and service calls I went through before I discovered this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement