Charging issues; stator wire grounded through junction box - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Charging issues; stator wire grounded through junction box

Hi there,

I am having some charging issues with my bike. I have a known good stator and r/r becuase of some tests that I ran recently. I found out that the one stator wire that splices off and goes to the junction box is grounded to the frame. It is only this one wire of the three that is grounded through the junction box. I was wondering if this was supposed to be grounded or not? I am pretty positive that it shouldn't be. I disconnected the plug that goes to the junction box and retested the stator wire for continuity to ground and found that with it unplugged , there is no continuity to ground. This leads me to believe there it is grounded in or after the connection at the junction box. Are there any tests I can do to see if my junction box is ok? And how can the stator wire be grounded through the junction box? I have read that it could be the headlight relay. Could this be the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Giggity!

Garage
The yellow wire from the stator is going to the headlight relay in the junction box. Of that I am sure.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
The yellow wire from the stator is going to the headlight relay in the junction box. Of that I am sure.
yup, and if your reading it as grounded, you probably need a junction box. there are diodes in there that can short (and one is on the yellow wire for the headlight trigger)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:22 PM

Garage
It should NOT be shorted to ground.
If the wire to the junction box is shorting in the JB itself, you most likely will not have your headlight turn on. that wire feeds a relay in the JB to trigger the headlight AFTER the bike is running.

The Junction box can be opened with a little bit of effort and possibly repaired, depending on what the issue is.

There is a headlight relay bypass procedure you can perform if your headlight does not come on. this will fix that issue and hopefully the bike is charging as it should with that accomplished.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks guys. I also found out that the stator wire goes through the junction box and connects to the starter relay. In fact the only pin on the JB that showed continuity to the stator pin was the one that goes to the starter relay. So that made me think something might be going on in the starter relay to ground the stator. Anyway, i will try opening up the JB and testing my headlight, etc. because it sounds like the more common issue.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

When I unplug the starter relay connection to the JB at the starter relay, the stator shows that it's not grounded anymore! Wierd. Should the yellow and red wire that comes from the JB that goes to the starter relay be connected to the yellow/black (ground wire) coming off the starter relay? It's shows that they are
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Sounds a lot like the same problem I had earlier this year. I had to take that yellow/red and another wire from the JB and splice them together in order for the start button to work again. As a side bonus, the charging volts were better afterward, so that defect in the JB was pulling my volts down. New TPE stator, mosfet r/r, and agm batt installed in 2013.

I tried searching my old posts, but this site runs so bad for me now, I finally gave up around page 7. It was real early in the riding season that I dealt with mine, maybe April. A couple of other people have done this same bypass too.

I don't think the yellow/red should be connected to a ground, that would just be a dead short and cook something real quick.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 04:04 PM

Ok, searched again and found the thread. Here's the two wires I spliced together and bypassed the JB:

The Fix: Clipped two wires off the 10-pin JB plug: black/ red and yellow/red, spliced these two together.

And here's my long, poorly written thread about it: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=69625&page=2

Not the exact same problem, but a problem with the yellow/red wire and it's connection in the JB, which happens to pull voltage down and kill one leg of the stator. In my case it eventually killed the start button.

This fault in the JB might be the culprit in stator failures, think I've said that before.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok i will look into this. When I start my bike, and then unplug the starter relay, the voltage at the battery reads a steady 13.5 volts at 2500 rpms. Unplugging the starter relay also turns off the headlight so the increased voltage may just be becuase I am not using a headlight and therefore less load. I will try a few more things. I feel like im getting close haha
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 04:48 PM

Be sure we are talking about the same yellow/red wire, because some wire colors are on both JB connectors. Mine was on the 10-pin, the smaller plug.

I had previously done the blue wire headlight relay bypass, so I have no idea if this yellow/red bypass will affect the headlight any. If you do this yellow/red bypass, you might also need the headlight bypass.

The yellow/red bypass also disables the safety start switches on the sidestand and clutch lever. Meaning it will start in gear with the clutch out.

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement