HELP - no lights, horn, gas gauge, tach - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

HELP - no lights, horn, gas gauge, tach

got my bike serviced and when i got home last night, nothing on the dash worked except the turn signals and i had no lights.

i lost power to:
tach & temp sensor (fan worked though)
gas gauge
horn
front light
rear brake light

it seems something lost power - and it powers everything. i took the light off last night and checked all the connections and also took the dash apart to make sure everything was ok as well. i also checked the fuses in the junction box and they are fine.

i know what you will say - take it back, but the dealer (private shop) had it for 3 weeks for a carb cleaning and they didn't do it. i was told the pipes (mac) will make the bike sputter because they need more fuel (rejet). they charged me $120 to install some fuel filters, back out the air screws and solve a wiring issue that i was unaware of.

i would like to fix this issue - or at least mess something up trying- before i bring it back to them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm trying to read the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual (it's in color, so that helps) and here's what I can see: the water temp sensor, tach, and tach light all go into what appears to be a five-pin connector(R/BL, BR, BK/Y, BK, and Y wires); the Black/Yellow lead serves as the ground connector for your headlamp, but also your front left turn signal - so that doesn't make sense. However, the BR wire from that lead serves as the power wire for your horns, so that helps. The BK/Y of the fuel gauge also grounds to the same lead (the sensor is a two-prong connection under the saddle - the gauge itself operates on its own circuit). I'm pretty sure that connector can be found under your left front engine cover (two screws - big phillips head) - see if they forgot to hook that up, or didn't fully hook it up. I'll go out and see what color that connector is - back in a flash.

Hmm...short term memory here on wire colors, but I think the connector is probably the red one. There's also a five-pin brown connector located in the same vicinity - might as well check both while you're in there.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 07-09-2008 at 09:43 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 AM

What was the wiring issue that they "fixed"? I would do a quick check in that vicinity; especially if it coincides with the location(s) that Cindy mentioned.

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM

Try cleaning the junction box with a plastic safe contact cleaner. It may help may not but it's a shot.

James
1985 vn700 (T'Plana)
Gremlin bell
HD-O shield
saddlebagged
custom made supports
tool bag
extended backrest
Protac backrest
Highway pegs
custom mirrors
custom grips
V&H cruisers
lever covers
DieHard AGM
Kuryakin battery gauge
and LED taillights
marbled

VROC #27169
Tn VROC #134

www.youtube.com/thetrueliljd
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

the tech told me that every time he turned right the bike died. he took the key ignition assembly apart and sanded the contacts. he didn;t really charge me for the repair of that issue.

i called him and he said that the key routes the power to those items - and trying to fix the bad connection that caused the stalling prob ruined the power connection to the accessories.

i have a new key/ignition on order.

i wish there was a way to jump it out. i have to wait 7-10 business days and really want to ride.... especially considering the shop had the bike for almost 3 weeks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

There are 2 big connections on the left side of the neck (as you sit on the bike). Try unplugging them and then reconnecting them. Maybe it's just not seated correctly?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM

Again, looking at the wiring diagram, the Br/Wh wire off the ignition switch looks to be a critical connector. It should have a bullet connector that goes into a female connector off a Br wire in the wiring harness. Unless he totally destroyed it, all you need is to solder a piece back on there and hook it up. Look under the left side engine cover and see if that female lead is open - if that's it, and you can solder (or somebody at the dealership can), you should be up and running in about 15 minutes.

C
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Again, looking at the wiring diagram, the Br/Wh wire off the ignition switch looks to be a critical connector. It should have a bullet connector that goes into a female connector off a Br wire in the wiring harness. Unless he totally destroyed it, all you need is to solder a piece back on there and hook it up. Look under the left side engine cover and see if that female lead is open - if that's it, and you can solder (or somebody at the dealership can), you should be up and running in about 15 minutes.

Agrees with the above...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

i looked at the wiring diagram in the manual and traced the rear light to the red wire that goes into the key switch. i figured that it wasn't seeing power, so i grabbed an extra battery and put power there with a small piece of wire (at the red wire under the key switch).

everything worked as it should. i am guessing the connection in the switch itself is messed up - as the dealer told me it prob was (he took the key switch apart to clean it).

so, i ran some wire from the red wire at the key switch to a temp rocker switch and then to the battery. basically i am turning the accessories on by switch after the key switch is turned on.

since i ordered another key switch, i figured this fix is temp. (splicing into the key switch wires) at least it gets me back on the road after 3 weeks of driving my jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement