Charging nightmare? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Charging nightmare?

Hi I am new to the vulcan 750 , so far I love the bike and think it was a good bike to get. I was having a battery problem not charging so I wen't and bought a new extreme battery from a local battery comp. Two day's later it was dead. When the bike is running the head lamp looks real weak. high beam is brighter but still sort of weak looking. I tested the batter while not running and is at 12.86--75 I start the bike and increase throttle to almost 3500 to 4000 and volts do not go pass 13 ............would you say stator?? Hope Not! Sounds like a PITA. Any help would be great. I am not thatv much into Electrical so sort of stumped on how to check it to be sure of what it is.

(91 Vulcan 750)
Saddle bags
new Dulnop tires

as of now more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 05:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to gnon2705 Send a message via Yahoo to gnon2705
Re: Charging nightmare?

Before you tear the bike apart for the stater, try the regulator/rectifier. It's less expensive and easier, and it may just solve the problem. Sometimes they give out.
Ride Safe
Wayne
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:35 AM

Ask that question here, someone will direct you too a not to complicated stator, regulator/rectifier dianostic method.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VN750/
or try here
http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wDvBQud.../Stator%20Test
and here
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wDvBQvE...heckout%20Grid
and here
http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wDvBQsQ...st%20Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahogriffin
Hi I am new to the vulcan 750 , so far I love the bike and think it was a good bike to get. I was having a battery problem not charging so I wen't and bought a new extreme battery from a local battery comp. Two day's later it was dead. When the bike is running the head lamp looks real weak. high beam is brighter but still sort of weak looking. I tested the batter while not running and is at 12.86--75 I start the bike and increase throttle to almost 3500 to 4000 and volts do not go pass 13 ............would you say stator?? Hope Not! Sounds like a PITA. Any help would be great. I am not thatv much into Electrical so sort of stumped on how to check it to be sure of what it is.

(91 Vulcan 750)
Saddle bags
new Dulnop tires

as of now more to come...

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot I will check it out I appreciate all the help need to nip this in the bud. Thanks again let you know how it comes out
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:18 AM

Those links I gave you may not work so go to the following link;
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VN750/
then clic on files,
scroll down to "Electrical and lighting";
then clic on "RR and stator";
there you'll find the diagnostic info to test the rectifier/regulator and the stator.

Quote:
Thanks a lot I will check it out I appreciate all the help need to nip this in the bud. Thanks again let you know how it comes out

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sgt.

I am very greatfull for the help you have offered and the help of this website. It is nice to have a place to go to and find info without having to spend a lot of $$$ at the dealer making them more rich and me poor I think that with this website and my bike everything will be fine. Ride safe Sgt. and keep the wheels down shiny side up!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Charging nightmare?

Well I am breaking the bike down and going to go ahead and replace the stator, and R/R might as well I did check the stator and I did have ohms reading when grounded while I am at it I figure go ahead and install new air filters since they are off anyway and change the front and rear whell bearings And of course I am going to grease all of the splines and gears in the drive shaft change oil in final rear drive ...should be good to go.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 09:15 AM

For a good place to get your stator and R/R ,go here
https://www.electrosport.com/

Quote:
Well I am breaking the bike down and going to go ahead and replace the stator, and R/R might as well I did check the stator and I did have ohms reading when grounded while I am at it I figure go ahead and install new air filters since they are off anyway and change the front and rear whell bearings And of course I am going to grease all of the splines and gears in the drive shaft change oil in final rear drive ...should be good to go.

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Man that is an amazing price difference from the dealer. I can not wait till she is purring again she is all torn down now except for removing the motor mounts and carbs , and drive train. then she will be lifted and tucked and flushed and reinstalled. Pretty neat bike to work on
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 03:18 PM

Better warranty also. The dealers does not have a warranty once an electrical part is installed. Electrosport has 12 months.

Quote:
Man that is an amazing price difference from the dealer. I can not wait till she is purring again she is all torn down now except for removing the motor mounts and carbs , and drive train. then she will be lifted and tucked and flushed and reinstalled. Pretty neat bike to work on

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
Sponsored Links
Advertisement