Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Signal Shave

Here's the basics on the signal shave.

1. Start by removing the signal from the bike.

2. Remove the lense, the bulb & the wiring. The wiring removal can be alittle tricky deppending on how old your bike is. I found bad corrosion in my housing. ***Pay attention to how things come apart***

3. Now that everything is removed from the signal, you want to cut the end of the signal that attaches to the bike off at the end of the **Third** rubber nub. If you cut this to short, you won't have enough material to seccure it.

4. If you have a grinding wheel this will be quicker, but still take your time.
Begin shaving down the top & bottom of the signals alittle at a time until the "shaft" fits in the hole. Be carful when you get to the end where the housing is. Don't get to close.

5. At the housing side I suggest using a fresh razor blade & carefully cut a nice 90 degree angle all the way around. This will give you the snugg fit against the bike.

6. Once you have the signal fitting well, Mark on the otherside where you can drill a "small" hole through the shaft on either side to avoid hitting/cutting/shorting your wires when installing the shaved signals. Make this hole as close to the bike as possible.

7.With the hole drilled, re-assemble the signal. Before installing, connect the wiring to ensure everythng is working. If everything is good. Proceed with the installation on the signal. I found it easier to install the screw from the bottom On the rear & top on the front. You can see the screw in the front pic. look close.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the mount/screw yet. But I think you get it. I'll post one asap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 01:42 PM
2001 VN750 Pensacola, FL

Looks cool man!! good job!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Louder IS better!

Awesome, Thanks for takin the time to share that. I'm off for the next few days so I will probably attempt to shave mine...wish me luck.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOctober750 View Post
Awesome, Thanks for takin the time to share that. I'm off for the next few days so I will probably attempt to shave mine...wish me luck.
Good luck...its real easy...did mine today...along with finish up my solo seat
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I took mine apart today to try to correct the "sag", and talk about corrosion! Pssh! One of mine is so rusted out, my PO (strikes again) has the inside of it lined with cigarette foil. This one happens to sag the most, with alot of cracks in the stalk-the opposite blinker looks like brand new, so I'm guessing he actually broke down and bought something while he owned it. LOL

Now that I'm here though, I can't decide between the pen tube reinforcement, or to cut off the stalk as described in this thread.

Either way, good thread Kanuck, thanks for the details and pics.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM

This looks so damn good I am headed out to the shop right now and do my bike this way. Thanks for the great idea and perfectly clear instructions. People like you make this site the great resource that it is for so many people like myself. Thank you, thank you!!!!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:08 PM
2001 VN750 Pensacola, FL

I got the rear ones done, piece of cake and looks awsome!! Now if I can only find time to do the front ones......stinkin graveyard shifts!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 AM
A10 Pilot

Does anyone have a picture of the hole that needs to be drilled, or how exactly to affix the modified signal to the bike? Is the hole/screw used to "pin" the signal so it cannot fall off? Or does it thread into something?

VN750 A10
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Think this will be another one of the projects for my bike. The way the tail light hangs and the saddle bags are installed, the light is in the way of opening the bag. That would solve that problem, and it looks good too.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkonops View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the hole that needs to be drilled, or how exactly to affix the modified signal to the bike? Is the hole/screw used to "pin" the signal so it cannot fall off? Or does it thread into something?
Hi, If this doesn't help I'll get a different photo loaded tonight. Read back over step "6". Then look at the last pic. You can see the screw I used just to the right of the signal on the inside of the bracket. This is where it is held on. Very important that you do not drill your hole in the middle though. I did that the first time not thinking about it & created a short. Your hole should be off set a bit of center. Oh, and the size of the hole is determindd by the screw you use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement