Oh yes.....you CAN kill a TPE rewound stator!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes, you CAN kill a TPE rewound stator!! If you're really stupid like I was...

Of course, if you completely ignore common sense like I did, you can most certainly kill even the best stator.......even when used with a Shindengen MOSFET R/R and AGM battery. How??? One way I've discovered is by letting your bike idle in western PA when it's 88 degrees outside and you're waiting over half an hour on PENNDOT to set you free. Do yourself a HUGE favor and shut yer bike off!!!!! It doesn't matter if your water temp gauge says all is well. Believe me, all is not well. I baked my 2 1/2 year old TPE stator over the course of about 45 minutes. I have a digital LED voltmeter display mounted above and between the speedo and tach. When I finally got to work that morning, it read 14.3 volts....awesome, right? When I left work that afternoon, it wouldn't go above 12.6, and was down to 12.2 by the time I got home. Got it back in the garage, did the R/R test. passed perfectly. Did the stator short to ground test....passed, stator resistance test....passed, but when I did the stator output voltage test... 0.12 volts per wire, and yes, I set my multimeter to AC volts, 200 VAC scale. Checked all wires and connections.....all good and solid. Started the bike the next day after recharging the battery completely. Still, about 12.6 volts regardless of RPM's.
Another contributing factor which may have played a part is not keeping the oil level up to the top of the sight glass.....I just kept it about halfway in between the lines next to it. I put the bike up on the center stand and pulled off the stator cover and not a drop of oil leaked out. Apparently, the stator is cooled by oil just sloshing around inside the engine case, as it is not immersed in oil while running, let alone standing while the engine is off.
Now for the good news!!!
When I previously had the old stator rewound by Tim Parrot, I ordered the stator plate and did the Tuxedo mod, so now when I get the bucks to cover another rewind, the change out will be a breeze.
Moral of the story, although it really shouldn't have to be told.......if you have to wait in traffic for any extended period of time......shut the damn thing off. If, once traffic starts to finally move and the person behind you has to wait an extra two or three seconds for you to start her up, put her in 1st and go....too bad.
My two cents, for whatever it's worth.

1997 VN750. 34K miles
(so far).
MCCT mod
Coastered
Lithium Battery
Iridium sparkplugs
Tuxedo stator mod
TPE stator rebuild
Engine guards
R/R relocated, upgraded to Shindengen MOSFET
LED turnsignals & brakelights
Electronic flasher relay
K&N air filters
OPT7 LED headlight bulb
Headlight relay mod
Pirelli MT66 front & rear tires
Plexifairing 3 Windshield
Digital LED voltmeter
(Aluminum luggage rack,
Floorboards,
Heel-Toe shifter .....all homemade)
synthetic oil

Last edited by Axelon20; 08-09-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got my newly rebuilt TPE stator installed and I'm back in the saddle again......for whatever is left of the summer/fall riding season here. Chalk another one up to a lesson learned I guess.

1997 VN750. 34K miles
(so far).
MCCT mod
Coastered
Lithium Battery
Iridium sparkplugs
Tuxedo stator mod
TPE stator rebuild
Engine guards
R/R relocated, upgraded to Shindengen MOSFET
LED turnsignals & brakelights
Electronic flasher relay
K&N air filters
OPT7 LED headlight bulb
Headlight relay mod
Pirelli MT66 front & rear tires
Plexifairing 3 Windshield
Digital LED voltmeter
(Aluminum luggage rack,
Floorboards,
Heel-Toe shifter .....all homemade)
synthetic oil
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 12:50 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Awesome, hope that means my TPE stator will come soon. Been waiting a few weeks but know he's busy with summer time.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat