Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

stator mid30s-40sVAC

ok my stator is pushing mid30s-mid to high 40s VAC installed a regulator and been tracing wires. still pushing 12.7v @5000 RPMS. NOW WHAT.. any suggestions? oh yeah checked all 3 stator wires.. all is groovy there.

1990 VN750
(Full Throttle to the Funeral)
or if i have to donate blood for money for the stator ill change the name to(blood sweat and tears)
Cobra pipes
Vanard vision LED engine lights and ground effects
Mustang seat
custom paint (black w/blue metallic flake)
saddlebags
tool bag
skull hand grips
custom painted engine. (black w/bare aluminum)
maltese cross tail light
highway pegs
bigger fuel tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
ok man in our other thread you mentioned the ignition switch...i would check that out and also check the JB like i suggested in the other post...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

ha ha yeah I know. the other thread was getting really long. Ill get into that ignition switch area shortly. the jb looks just fine it was only the rubber mount that got acid crap on it. and like I said in the previous thread I thought about that if it was the JB then there would be other stuff not working but everything is working just fine.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
yea if you look at the other thread...you will notice...there is one circuit there inside the JB that would not affect the bike noticeably...the kickstand switch...does it work?

Check for a burnt spot on the circuit board. also i have made a better pic of the Junction Box Circuits...I have found your problem..check for continuty from your side stand switch back to the Green/White wire on the junction box...then check continuity between the Green/White wire at the JB to the Yellow wire on JB...if there is no continuity between green/white and yellow at the JB...then there is your fault...and that would be the reason for low voltage...

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 07-01-2008 at 02:10 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

hey so I checked the kickstand switch when I got home and the plunger was stuck pushed in.. I took a pair of pliers and jiggled it and pop it popped out on its own like a little stilleto switchblade..lol.. that's all I could do before the skeeters noticed I was outside and ambushed me. so later I'm going to check the wire fire her up and check my voltage.. then if its still acting up ill check that ignition switch.

1990 VN750
or if i have to donate blood for money for the stator ill change the name to(blood sweat and tears)
Cobra pipes
Mustang seat
saddlebags
tool bag
skull hand grips
maltese cross tail light
highway pegs
bigger fuel tank.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
have you had a chance to see what the voltage is doing now?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

naw stupid delivery job so I won't be checkin til I get home and what not

1990 VN750
Cobra pipes
Mustang seat
saddlebags
tool bag
skull hand grips
maltese cross tail light
highway pegs
bigger fuel tank.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

ok,, i took the tape off of 3/4 of the wiring harness. from where the tail light wires come out of the fender and removed the gas tank to check those wires. i removed the head light and checked all those wires,, i checked the ignition switch wires,, i checked the start button wires,, i checked kickstand wires,, and clutch switch wires,, wanna know what i came up with? they are in really nice condition. ALL OF THEM,, cant find a visual problem with any of them,, not even a questionable area. I changed the R/R,, i changed the harness going into the R/R,, my stator is not grounding out, and its volts check in at low to mid [email protected] i put the battery on with a full charge at 13.5v and ran it for like a min,, now i have 12.7v,, i used to run at 12.9v and when i turned the bike off the battery would still have a 13.5v full charge after riding it around for a bit. talk about being at wits end i have had this bike practically to the frame and engine and CANNOT find the problem. If i have to take it into a Kaw dealer its going to cost way too much because the Vulcan electrical system SUCKS! SOMETHING IS DRAWING SOME VOLTAGE SOMEWHERE! I CANNOT FIND IT,,,, I DONT WANT TO SELL IT,,but my lady is going to make me if i cannot find the problem. this is causing me too much problems at home now. We fight because of this bike not working,, I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS DAMN PROBLEM NOW FOR 2 MONTHS,, I am wasting my summer trying to figure out this japanese piece of crap. right now its a lawn ornament in front of my apartment building i am like the joke around here now. "oh theres yoshi working on his bike again today" if anyone has a idea please share.

1990 VN750
Cobra pipes
Mustang seat
saddlebags
tool bag
skull hand grips
maltese cross tail light
highway pegs
bigger fuel tank.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

by the way,, my charging system has not changed one bit if you cant tell

1990 VN750
Cobra pipes
Mustang seat
saddlebags
tool bag
skull hand grips
maltese cross tail light
highway pegs
bigger fuel tank.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

In checking the wiring, you not only need to visually inspect the wires, you need to run continuity checks using an Ohm meter.
Did you do a continuity check on the side stand switch like SVR suggested?
You may need to take the ignition switch apart to completely check it as the internal mechanism may be at fault and not readily visible.
Tracing any electrical fault can be frustrating in any vehicle. The wiring on this model bike is no worse than any other. You just happen to have a problem that is hard to find and are frustrated. I can sympathize. Mine was in pieces in the garage taking up space for 4 years before I was able to get her back together and running and a year later MY stator went out. I blame the POs (at least 3) for the bikes problems but it is still up to me to fix her.
Don't give up and ask your lady for some patience. These things take time sometimes and when you finally find and fix the problem, you will be rewarded with the satisfaction that you beat this thing and will be more confident in the future when problems arise, and they will.
Most motorcycles are projects in one way or another. Mine has been but I love her anyway.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement