Main fuse keeps blowing, narrowed down the source. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

Main fuse keeps blowing, narrowed down the source.

Alright,

So last month I had some more time so I pulled out the bike and have been giving it a look over every now and then.

My main fuse (30A) keeps blowing and I tried everything. Had a buddy come over and check a few things he said based on what he found there is no wire grounded (and I have gone over every wire at least 3 time now) and that it has to be a component.

He found something wrong with the ignition coils, so I replaced both of those. However the main fuse kept blowing. I just did the Stator mod, and the R/R. and those both are good. I replaced the stater relay with a shot in the dark and the main fuse still blow as soon as I put in a fuse. I unplugged the CDI and the still main fuse blows as soon as I touch it in.

However I unplugged the pickup coils for the front and rear cylinder coming out of the stator housing, and the main fuse stopped blowing.

So the question is, if I replace the pickup coils with now ones, pop them in, screw them down, could those wires and male magnetic components (for lack of understanding) should that solve the problem? Or would what the pickup coils are plugged into be the cause of the problems?

Thanks for any input. Regardless of learning way more than expected I am still very clueless when it comes to most things.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

I dont know if I called the parts the right thing, but just to confirm here is a picture of what I unplugged to stop the main fuse from popping.

And I suppose I am trying to find out if it would be these wires, or the male components that the wires lead to, or if it is what they plug into.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	24378  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

if you disconnect the connectors from the IC igniter, and it still blows fuses, then the pickup coils are not the problem (they connect to the igniter, any current to the pickup coils must flow thru the igniter).

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

So what part would I be looking to replace? I tried searching igniter and could not find anything. Would it be what the cubed boxes are plugging into inside the stator housing that needs replaced? or would it be what the wire is leading to and connecting with outside of the housing?

Last edited by FastHamFreddy; 07-16-2015 at 11:57 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

Is this what would need replaced? (Sorry I was calling it the CDI) because when I unplugged this, or unplugged to 2 connectors going into it, the fuse continued to blow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16hHJFsFFSCuBE+-BRgW4I5-5Q~~60_35.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	24385  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

I misread that I am sorry. Is it possible that there is a pinch in the wire for the pickup coils?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:51 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Your best bet is to determine when the fuses are being blown such as while turning the bars, etc. I had a similar problem that I was able to relate to happening when I turned hard right. It ended up being a pinched wire at the locking nub on the fork. Once I fixed the bare wire and wire tied them out of the way of the pinch point it was all fine. Several other had similar situations.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

if you disconnected both connectors to the igniter, and it was still blowing fuses, the problems isn't the igniter or the pickup coils (the coils plug into the igniter directly, with no other power source that is not provided by the igniter)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Old Truck Junkie

If your coils are off the bike, reconnect them and see if the fuse burns. If not ground one coil at a time. If one of them burns the fuse, there is the problem.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

I am at a loss on this one... So I went back and connected everything. lo and behold, the fuse is no longer blowing... I had a special delay when I tried to get the bike turned over and forgot to screw the starter back in but other then that the electric is on, ,and nothing is blowing now... Cause that makes perfect sense. Tried moving it around, turning the wheel, and leaning it still diddnt blow... So since that makes perfect sense hopefully I will be up and running by this time next week.

Thanks everyone for the insight!

Last edited by FastHamFreddy; 07-17-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement