starter problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

starter problem

trying to track down a starter problem on my project bike and hit a road block. turn key, dash lights come on, then hit start button and nothing. Decided to jump the solenoid and starter motor cranks and bike eventually starts. Thought it was the solenoid so bought a new one and still nothing. Then I took apart the switch and cleaned it out althoughit wanst that bad and still nothing. stumped. Now im thinking that there is a frayed wire/connection but not sure.
any other suggestions before i start digging out the whole wiring harness would be appreciated.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Does yours make a brief "fried egg" sound from the right side cover for about a half second when the lights go off?
Mine does this and if I let it sit with the switch on, it eventually comes back on for no apparent reason. I've tried wiggling various wires in the starting circuit, checking the fuses, and even giving her a swift kick, all to no avail. She comes back on after said sit time and then starts. Fortunately, it's very intermittant and has only happened 3 times so far.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

yea I dont get any dimming or turning off of the lights....its like nothing happens when the start button is hit. I thought one time i heard a buzzin sound from right under the gas tank on the right side but it was one time and not certain it really happened.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 PM

I get this fried egg sound for a fraction of a second and then it all dies. It almost sounds like it's coming from the solenoid but it isn't hot to touch and wiggling the wires does nothing to bring power back on. Fiddling with the ignition switch does nothing an kicking her only damages my foot. She just comes back online when she's good and ready. And they say mechanical things don't have a soul or personality.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
did you check the neutral safety switch???
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:59 PM

It does it in neutral with the green light on, clutch out. It hasn't done it when in gear with the clutch in so maybe you're on to something. I just put the engine back in but all the wiring is connected. I could check the connection there at the engine to make sure it's clean and tight and again in the battery compartment where there is a bullet connector.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:59 PM

Redskinner, even tho' I'm an Eagles fan, here are some additional thoughts that might be useful:
1. There is a connection (two wires together) that comes off the inside of the RH controls - they're kinda side-by-side wires. I think one is blue, one is brown (if they are still in their little casing, the casing should go on with the lead-end pointed down). Check that that's snug, on right, etc.
2. Check the small connectors that go onto the solenoid; One wire is black and yellow, one is red and yellow. Someone may say it doesn't matter which goes where (and it may not), but the black-yellow one should attach to the power lead side of the solenoid.
3. Undo the negative battery terminal and check the order of the washers on the starter motor pos lead. Should be: insulated washer, copper washer, power lead, nut, in that order. OOPS - ignore this; I see you bypassed the solenoid and it started. Next time I'll read for details.

Having been through the same scenario more times that I can count, I probably have another list in my head (given a little more time) of things to check. But see if any of the above makes a difference.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 06-27-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Reading comprehension issue
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:06 AM

check the clutch switch in the left controls. my bike would do this sometimes but would start right up after pulling and releasing the clutch lever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement