Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects

Hhhheeeelllpppp!!!

Well I've got things pretty much back together but...
I replaced the battery and attempted to start the bike. It fires when the starter button is pressed but kills immediately when the button is released. I pulled the plugs both front and back have spark. Checked connections all seem to be good, used electrical contact cleaner on the contacts.
Don't know where to go now, Any ideas

On a side note, while tracing wires I found the clutch safety switch will not allow the starter to engage when the clutch lever is fully pulled. Don't know what to make of this. Now With the bike in gear and the clutch lever pulled the rear wheel won't roll (still in gear). To my pea brain this part sounds like a clutch job, right?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!

A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Charlie Bullwinkle,
Sounds like you lost or crossed wires when you replaced the battery. A wire may have slipped down and you reconnected and did not notice, or a wire flopped over to the other side and you have it connected to the wrong terminal.
The clutch is a horse of a different color. If it worked before you did this job then either the clutch is worn or you disconnected the clutch wire somehow. Before you dig in and go after the clutch make sure the cable is right.

Good luck
Gemguy
Fred
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects

Thanks for the guidance, I'll go out and run through that later tonight. As for the clutch I don't know, purchased the bike not running and as a project (I guess I got that). Thanks again

Charlie

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 PM

Charlie, try a couple of things: first, make sure you've got the switch connected to the LH controls in the right direction. Sounds dumb, I know, but it's hard to see the tab in there - and it may be possible that you've flipped it 180 degrees (on Orleans, some of the connector tabs were missing altogether, leaving me to guess in some instances). Also, I don't know what the "default" is on that particular switch, but unplug it - see if that makes a difference.

Finally, in your rebuilding, did you happen to pull the rear wheel to lube the splines? If so, could you spin it with the bike in neutral after you'd put it all back together. If you're not certain whether you did or not, try it tonight - just pop her up there on the centerstand, put the bike in neutral, and spin. It's possible that you've got two different things going on (clutch switch issue; misaligned splines with the trans issue).

C
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 PM

The clutch switch prevents you from starting the bike in gear with the clutch out. The switch is on the clutch lever and has nothing to do with the clutch itself. The problem is electrical, not mechanical.
Did you hook up your neutral indicator? It's a small green wire that hooks to a small probe on the rear of the engine. It is easily missed and may be one of the problems. Without a clear electronic indication the bike is in neutral, the clutch safety switch may be confused. Do you get a green neutral light?

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects

I picked up the bike as a project, I pulled the thing apart down to the engine and handle bars replacing the cables, filters and fluids, doing a-lot of cleaning up of connections and other pieces and taking care of rust. I didn't go into the engine or rip the wire loom out, but I did remove the battery basket and all the goodies attached there to take care of rust (battery had leaked acid all over in there and ate the powdercoating off)
I will check the LH controls.
I do get a green neutral light when the bike is in neutral.
Rear wheel does spin freely in neutral, also starter will engage in neutral.
When bike is in gear or in neutral with the clutch lever pulled all the way in the starter will not engage until the clutch lever comes in contact with the clutch switch on the LH controls.
With the bike in gear and the clutch lever pulled in rear wheel won't freely turn.
I really think that I would be optimistic to think I only had two things going on.
Thanks
Charlie

Charlie

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Do you have a mechanics manual? This would help clear up a lot of your problems because you could see what things are supposed to look like.
It sounds like the long probe on the clutch saftey switch may be broken. I fixed mine by taking it off the bike and glueing a piece of model airplane sprue in the broken parts place and it has worked just fine since. That should fix the start up problems.
As for the clutch, how much play do you have in the clutch lever? It may be that the cable is out of adjustment. There should only be about 1-2mm of play on the clutch. If it is more than this, you may not be fully disengaging the clutch when the lever is pulled.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects

Yes I have a Clymer's manual. The pin on the clutch is still there, just won't allow the starter to engage unless the pin is pushed however slightly with the clutch lever.
As I see it right now I've got three problems to deal with
1) Engine not staying running after starter disengaged, bike seems to be running then dies when starter button let go of.
2) Switch not allowing bike to be started when clutch lever is pulled in all the way, pin is not touched by clutch lever not allowed to crank starter.
3) Clutch not engaging, not allowing back tire to roll when clutch lever pulled in. Tire spins freely when in neutral, but when in gear with clutch pulled in no-go. For this I believe I'm going to have to do a clutch job (only way I see around it)

Charlie

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 PM

Sounds like a dirty or sticking micro switch. You can take the switch off the clutch lever and clean it out, then reinstall it and that should solve that problem. Mine was doing something similar after I replaced the pin and has to disassemble the switch to clean it out. I checked it with an Ohmmeter to ensure it was working before I put it back on the bike.

Does your headlight come on after the engine catches and stay on when it dies? I ask this because you may have a bad relay in the junction box. It sounds like it is engaging when the starter is energized but de-energizing when the starter button is released.

The clutch may be as simple as taking it apart and putting it back together. It may be that the clutch plates are stuck together if the bike has sat for an extended period of time. If not, the clutch is one of the easier fixes on the bike. No engine pull needed!!

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
You can take the switch off the clutch lever and clean it out, then reinstall it and that should solve that problem. Did that I checked it with an Ohmmeter to ensure it was working before I put it back on the bike.Didn't do that

Does your headlight come on after the engine catches and stay on when it dies?Yes I ask this because you may have a bad relay in the junction box.Where is the junction box? It sounds like it is engaging when the starter is energized but de-energizing when the starter button is released.

The clutch may be as simple as taking it apart and putting it back together. It may be that the clutch plates are stuck together if the bike has sat for an extended period of time.It did sit for a long time and I can only hope this is all it is! If not, the clutch is one of the easier fixes on the bike. No engine pull needed!!
Thanks I will be checking these things out

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement