think I found my charging problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

think I found my charging problem

yeeeaaah so if I did my test right my stator is pumpin out single digits. so its my bleep bleep bleepin motherbleepin stator. the PO told me he checked that and the R/R and the battery and after much testing he found it to be a shorted ground somewhere. because no way in hell I would of bought a bike with a bad stator..custom or not.. I don't have the money or garage to do this kind of work. mainly money. I just pissed away close to 2000.00 bucks! last thing I want to do is sell the bike. looks like I wasted my time and money on something I can't ride this season now. I am ticked!
thanks everyone for your help though this last month. I'm gonna go torch the bike now and get my insurance money..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Calif Rider

Sorry to hear that you bought a big problem. If you got the time you could easy make more money by parting the bike out, or resell the bike. Or maybe you do not really mean that you will torch it. There a lot of good parts on the bike that many could use and are looking for. I myself need a good fuse box, my headlight just went out because of the relay or diodes in the thing.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:46 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

The stator can be bought new for $119 and you could make your own gaskets to save money there. Its a PITA to do but doable it is. I would just buckle down and download the free manual and do the job. You will be happy that you did in the end. Beats the alternative of torching the bike or parting it out even.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hey, I feel your pain!! I was very recently in the same boat. Take a deep breath, spend some quality time with the heavy bag (preferably with a pic of the PO taped to it!), then change the stator out. You can even torch the bad one if it'll make you feel better. I did mine for about $160, Rick's stator and gaskets. You might even be able to get the parts cheaper. It'll take you a bunch of hours to get the job done, but you'll be riding in no time, which is why you bought the damn thing in the first place. All in it's a lot easier than than parting the bike out, and you'll avoid the whole insurance fraud thing! It sucks to have to go through it, but it is what it is. Like Nike tells you....Just Do It!

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

ok first off i am not going to torch the bike,, it was a thought. upon further thought it would take too long to get the dang insurance money. im not parting her out either. i mean hell i can get a lot for the seat alone with it being a Mustang seat in mint condition but i would not feel right seperating parts and stuff. too much work already gone into this by the 2 other PO's. looks like i am going to have to figure out how the hell i am going to get the money for a new stator or sell the whole bike... hmm wont get as much for the bike with a twitchy stator,, so looks like i am going to just fix the stator.. whenever that may be.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiaka13 View Post
ok first off i am not going to torch the bike,, it was a thought. upon further thought it would take too long to get the dang insurance money. im not parting her out either. i mean hell i can get a lot for the seat alone with it being a Mustang seat in mint condition but i would not feel right seperating parts and stuff. too much work already gone into this by the 2 other PO's. looks like i am going to have to figure out how the hell i am going to get the money for a new stator or sell the whole bike... hmm wont get as much for the bike with a twitchy stator,, so looks like i am going to just fix the stator.. whenever that may be.
Depending upon the condition of the rest of the bike, you might well be surprised at how much you could recoup if you parted her out. The Mustang seat would be, what, several hundred dollars? Folks are always looking for clean gas tanks (see what they're going for on eBay - zoinks!); etc. And as for selling the whole thing - bad stator and all - what year is the bike? HOWEVER, I have to agree with my colleagues, that taking care of the stator yourself would be the best, first option. If you're that hurting for cash, there's someone on eBay who rebuilds stators and sells them at a fairly low price, in exchange for your old core. Might not be the best stator in the world, but once you've pulled an engine and switched that thing out, you realize the procedure isn't as bad as it sounds.

C
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

still weighing out my flippin options here. hell i dont even know if it truly is the stator yet. just when i checked it the voltage was in the single digits. so i am going to have a mechanic friend of mine test it also, second opinion before i pull my long hair out. because with talking with a few people i know there is one thing that does not make any sense. maybe it will to other kaw riders but not me and some of the mechanics i have talked to at work that also work on bikes. the one thing being a few weeks ago the day i did my oil change i had fixed wires the night before. that morning i tested my system and it was pumping out mid13s at low rpms and low14s at 5000+rpms.. then an hour later after i shut the bike off and tested it like 2 other times it was still pushing the same numbers.. then i changed the oil and bam! right back at mid 12s. i noticed the stator wires go from the stator then between a tight groove through hot engine areas and pops out on the other side of the engine. the bike is 18years old. wires get brittle. how heat resistant is that plastic sheath that covers those wires. cause if there is a hot spot in those wires that cooked them just a little bit im thinking it could of broken wires enough where there are a few strands still touching which would explain why my resistant test passed and the voltage would fail. thats also the only other set of wires i touched when working on the electrical before changing the oil. i had to pull the whole sheath out to better get at the end of the stator wires to put new bullets on them then tuck them back in the groove. its just a thought. i have to wait probally tomorrow to test the voltage coming from the wires directly coming out of the stator before it makes its hot nasty trip through that groove.. lol.. its just electrical theory crap but hey i can hope.. lol

1990 VN750
(Full Throttle to the Funeral)
or if i have to donate blood for money for the stator ill change the name to(blood sweat and tears)
Cobra pipes
Vanard vision LED engine lights and ground effects
Mustang seat
custom paint (black w/blue metallic flake)
saddlebags
tool bag
skull hand grips
custom painted engine. (black w/bare aluminum)
maltese cross tail light
highway pegs
bigger fuel tank.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 06:20 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat as you... I paid about 2k for mine also and it charges funny too. One day it's good the next it's low.

Keep the bike and do NOT part it out! You'll regret it no matter what anyone says and then you'll be out one hell of a ride! It would take me a couple months just to get a stator let alone the tools and gaskets but take your time and be paitent since it is a virtue. It will work out for you in the long run.

James
1985 vn700 (T'Plana)
Gremlin bell
HD-O shield
saddlebagged
custom made supports
tool bag
extended backrest
Protac backrest
Highway pegs
custom mirrors
custom grips
V&H cruisers
lever covers
DieHard AGM
Kuryakin battery gauge
and LED taillights
marbled

VROC #27169
Tn VROC #134

www.youtube.com/thetrueliljd
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 PM

I really don't think it's your stator. It sounds like a loose or broken wire somewhere. Stators don't normally go out after an oil change. It may be the wires coming from the stator to the bullet connectors between the R/R and the engine, a prime area for problems, or it may be the connections to the R/R itself. Something got knocked loose when you changed the oil. I'd go through the wiring with a fine tooth comb and trace down the problem.
If the stator itself is only putting out single digits, make sure your volt meter was set for AC. The stator is a 3 phase AC generator. If the meter was on DC, you will get single digit voltage readings. I did something like this with my trailer. The outlet was supposed to be 120V but I measured something like 8. Turned out my voltmeter was set to DC. Once I switched it to AC, vive la difference!! 118VAC.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

ok here is a problem,, my center wire coming from the stator likes to heat up,, i just fired her up and was checking the voltage to see if i had enough juice to make it on a short 10mile trip i seen some smoke coming up from in front of the battery, when i checked it was my middle stator wire "cooking" the insulation i put around that bullet,, that wire is why i replaced all my bullets it cooked the original one also.

1990 VN750
(Full Throttle to the Funeral)
or if i have to donate blood for money for the stator ill change the name to(blood sweat and tears)
Cobra pipes
Vanard vision LED engine lights and ground effects
Mustang seat
custom paint (black w/blue metallic flake)
saddlebags
tool bag
skull hand grips
custom painted engine. (black w/bare aluminum)
maltese cross tail light
highway pegs
bigger fuel tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement