Taillight comes on only when it wants to - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Taillight comes on only when it wants to

My taillight has decided it's making the decisions, and while I'm proud of it for coming into its own, I need the damned thing to work when I turn my m/c on! I will be pulling out the electrical wirings and cleaning connectors, but I wanted to check in and see if there's any experience with this issue out there?

She's a 2005 and it's definitely time for a maintenance but I will repost with my results. And then repost again if it regains consciousness and stops working when I tell it to.

Any feedback is... well, maybe just the pertinent feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:06 AM
2014 KLR 650!

2005! That bike is brand new! after you clean the contacts put some dielectric grease on them and in there since your cover might be leaking. The contacts on most of my lights were rusted.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Definitely. I pulled the fuses out for a quick check, but they all look good and the brake lights up the tail just fine. I would like to isolate which wires are taillight specific, but those electrical grids are klingon to me. I do appreciate the color-coding though.

Thanks for the insight!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 AM

Garage
The wires running under the seat to the rear tail light are red and blue with a ground of black with yellow stripes. The thin bullet connectors should be cleaned and compressed to ensure good contact. Inspect to be sure nothing is chaffing and shorting to the frame.

Red wire and ground get you the tail lights while blue is the brake lights.
There are 2 bulbs in the housing that should be dual filament bulbs. If they are LED's, take them out and put regular bulbs in there for testing purposes.

If you have the wrong bulbs (single filament) then it may not light at all. Check your connections under the seat and also check that your bulbs are seated properly and getting voltage. Work your way backwards from the tail light while checking voltage is present. It could be a bad ground connection or a bad power lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement