Newbie needs some help! - Battery Issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Love My Baby

Newbie needs some help! - Battery Issue

Hey all. I'm pretty new here and I've got an electrical problem with my '05 750. Bought a replacement battery 7 months ago (YB14L-A2) and a battery tender plus. Used the tender religiously and found the battery bone dry - wouldn't start. Filled it, recharged it and used it today but after a few starts it died and I had to push start my baby. Replacing it with a Sears Gold AGM type - it's charging now. How can I tell if I screwed up my stator or R/R?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Take a look at the electrosport fault finding guide:

https://www.electrosport.com/technic...ng-diagram.pdf

If you pull the left side cover, you'll find the three yellow leads routed under the front bevel gear case. Disconnect the bullet connectors and check the resistance between each of the yellow leads. The manual says you should be getting between .34 and .52 OHMS, but I am getting around .8 and I just replaced my stator and the bike is charging fine. Also, each lead to ground should be infinity. Finally, with the leads disconnected you should be getting 50 volts AC when the engine is running at around 5000 RPM (note: that is AC not DC!). When testing the RR, it seems as though the resistance readings will most likely not read within the stated spec in the Kaw manual. Do the diode test as instructed in the fault finding guide. while you are at it, I would recommend installing 15A inline on each of the stator leads, as an added measure of protection. The MF battery was absolutely the right way to go. Good luck! Post back how you make out.

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement