Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Question enigma....help!!!

Hey everybody,

I'm new here, I am the owner of a VN 750 year '99. I bought it 7 months ago when it had 27 000 miles.
It is my first bike and I'm really not good at fixing things, not to mention that i have no clue whatsoever about mechanics. All I have it is just a bit of common sense and with your help i think I can get through with this

So, here is the history of my problem: two weeks ago when I turned the key in the ignition switch to start there was no current at all. i knew the battery was good, so I tried to find a broken wire or something, but I discovered that when i changed the position of the bike the current came on and after that I didn't have any problem untill 2 days ago when while driving the engine cut off momentarilly, sometimes I have to restart the bike in the middle of the road . I also noticed that all the lights (in board and headlight) would go off at the same time with the engine, so that's why i suspect it is electrical. Another symptom is sometimes when it's interrupting, the tach bounces really widely even though you can hear the rpm is not changing that much.
I thought it is the side stand switch, I bypassed it this morning but the problem remains.
I also played with the handlebar right left with the engine not running but with the key in the contact, and sometimes all the lights flicker so the problem is in the fork area.
Anyone has any suggestion how to track this efficiently 'cause otherwise I'm afraid i have to check all the wires....
Thank you all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Old Truck Junkie

It is very likely the ignition switch or the wire contact at the switch. Hope this helps you. Welcome aboard.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If you pull your headlight bucket, your left front engine cover (the one with the reflector), and your tank, you'll have a good view of most of the wires that that attach to the wiring harness (and their attachment points). Your ignition wires will be there, headlamp wires, etc., etc. Hopefully it's something really obvious, like an exposed wire.

C

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Love My Baby

Just a silly thought - are you SURE you didn't accidentally have the engine kill switch in the "off" position? If the engine suddenly stops while you're riding, you MIGHT have accidentally rocked the stop switch off. There may not be an electrical problem at all. Wouldn't that be nice!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I have simular isses...every once in a while the bike acts like it has no electric power on start up and then dies at odd times while riding...and to restart have to flip the kill switch off then back on...don't know what causes it...it been looking at both the kill switch and th eignition switch...I am starting to lean more to the ignition switch
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrick View Post
Just a silly thought - are you SURE you didn't accidentally have the engine kill switch in the "off" position? If the engine suddenly stops while you're riding, you MIGHT have accidentally rocked the stop switch off. There may not be an electrical problem at all. Wouldn't that be nice!!
no, unfortunatelly it's not that simple...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

i will open it these days and see what I find there. i'll let you know..I hope it is something obvious.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Undercover Sportbiker

Check the connections at the battery too. I remember someone a while back (may have been another board) was having intermittent electrical issues and they eventually found that one of the batt wires (black one?) was loose/had come unscrewed. When checking the wiring, I found that for some reason, unplugging and replugging wires can often work. I can't explain that one - I'm just not that smart, but I've seen it many times. Nothing wrong with the connection, just needed to be reseated I guess.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Connectors develop dirty spots that prevent good contact and reseating them helps clear some of the dirt or even tarnish since some of our connectors are brass.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement