Another slow start issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Another slow start issue

I have checked the starter armature for resistance, contact with brushes, and bench ran starter. I have 2 of these bikes that have the same problem. The starter runs fine on the bench, but will barely turn over the engine with the spark plugs installed. It still sounds slow even with the plugs out. Even though the starter runs, and checks out to be good using a meter, could it still be bad or weak? Where do I go from here? BTW, I've even tried using a car battery that has 550 cca and still no difference in starter speed. Baffled to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

check all cables and grounds.. a nasty connection or failing cable can cause exactly that

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 11:17 AM

X2 on MTB's post, double check the connections and the cables.

Quote:
Even though the starter runs, and checks out to be good using a meter, could it still be bad or weak?
Yes.

The bench test isn't 100% proof that the starter is ok. If the bearings/bushings are worn, the starter will drag and that often only happens when there is a load on the starter, like the starter gear being engaged with the engine. I've seen many starters that bench tested fine, but were still defective and would never start an engine.

Voltage drop and amp draw test with the starter on the engine will tell you more. But assuming the wiring and the engine itself is ok, the starter must be pulling way too many amps if a 550cca car battery can't turn it. If this is the case, you should see at least one of the battery terminals getting really hot.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 07-02-2015 at 11:19 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

yuppers. also, jumping with jumper cables from another battery is not a guarantee that your getting good connection (HIGH current capable) at all 4 clamps. more often than not, I see issues with at least 2 clamps not getting good solid connection. also, the teeth on the clamps are providing a fairly small surface area for the large amount of current needed to crank an engine.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

When I used the car battery, it was by direct connection to the starter terminal. It will turn until compression stroke and stop. I would then bump terminal with cable until it would get past comp. stroke and it would stop again on the next comp. stroke. I put a rebuild kit in one starter even though brushes were not worn and there was no sign of armature dragging (no scarring). BTW, one of the jumper cable wires used did get pretty warm.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

I guess my next question would be how many amps should the starter draw. I can check mine with an amp meter when I get home from work tonight, but I'll need to know what it should draw in order to make a determination on whether it's good or not. I don't want to buy a new starter needlessly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

don't know what the spec is, but I can imagine its around 200-300 amps loaded. possibly more.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Try tapping the brush end of the starter with a hammer. This will help loosen the brushes up to where it gets better contact to the armature. Just a tap not a hard beating.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Try tapping the brush end of the starter with a hammer. This will help loosen the brushes up to where it gets better contact to the armature. Just a tap not a hard beating.
oh yea, done that many times on my Lincoln when the starter would start to get slow. the brushes would hang in the holders a little bit, and a little tap on the end with the rubber coated handle of my hammer fixed it for a month or more

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Tapping it has no effect on it. On the one I put the kit in, I preset the brushes by bench running the starter 4 times for 15 seconds each as suggested, then let cool completely, and then repeated. Both starters run about same speed with no load, but to me they do seem a little slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement