Rear left blinker rubber piece - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Rear left blinker rubber piece

Any idea on how to repair/replace the rubber piece on this blinker? As you can see, I've got a temporary solution going on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghetto tape blinker.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24073  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

actual "repair" of that, not happening. the turn signal is available as a replacement part. also lots of options for aftermarket as well.

there are some methods out there to use items like a bic pen body to go inside and strengthen, as well as one method I seen actually cut the bad part out of the signal stalk, and connected the signal ball to the mount. in effect shortening it.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:14 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Koltsov View Post
Any idea on how to repair/replace the rubber piece on this blinker? As you can see, I've got a temporary solution going on here.
Yes. Take the tape off. lol It is difficult to tell you how to fix it with all the tape covering the actual extent of the problem. If it is just a broken rubber (plastic) section many here have used a Bic pen minus the internal parts. It seems that the pen is the exact OD to match the ID of the rubber section. This will work if it is a clean break in that portion of the light. Use a little black sealant between the parts and slide the pen barrel inside with the wires passing through the opening after cutting to a required size. I suggest that you leave the pen barrel as long as possible to give added strength. There should be one or several writeups on this topic here if you use the search option at the top of the page. The second option is to replace it with after market lights or exact models you might find in the Sell or Swap section or other sources as already mentioned. Several members that have used the Bic pen method have not had further problems for many years now. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 11:27 PM

There are several people that have new lights on eBay...but they are costly.

If the rubber is completely gone, it will need to be replaced. As for what I did...mine were sagging and cracked. I used a piece of this round metal to support it and pushed it in as far as it would go...similar to the Bic pen fix. Then I coated the rubber several times with black Plasticote which can be bought at Walmart. Looks pretty good and worked pretty good.

I ended up putting some cheap LEDS on the back.

2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI

Previous bike: 2002 Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement