Sitches and handlebar Accessories - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Sitches and handlebar Accessories

Ok, I posted this in the thread wiring harness woes, but got no responses. I would like to replace my stock Handlebar Controls with chrome ones. I understand that our bikes are out dated so finding custom parts that are designed specificaly for our bikes is a challange. I am however good at modifing parts and wiring. So my plan is to find some switches, chrome covers and every thing else fancy that the newer crusiers can have. My problem is what other bikes use our 7/8" Bar?

I want to install all of the switches on both right and left sides. Chrome grips, chrome switch blocks, chrome clutch and brake levers along with reservoirs and mirrors, new ignition switch with keys, and to finish it all off, i am going to be making my own wiring harness.

here are some of the parts i would like to use, but not sure if they will fit our bars. http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jc...2190G_CL_1.jpg but with switches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you are doing the wiring there should not be any real problem in using a set of controls from another bike. The high/low switch for the headlight, horn, kill switch, turnsignal, hazard light switch...front brake light switch....all work the same I would imagine. The cut out switch on the clutch, not sure about, but would guess you can bypass it.

So most Japanese bikes use 7/8 bars, but in the last 6? years, some of the larger cruisers are using 1 inch bars. This is not really a huge problem as you could grind/machine out the stock clamps to hold a larger bar.

If it were me, and I really wanted chrome...I'd just take apart the stock items , bead blast them and have them chromed. ...likely cost less than buying all new stuff....and you wouldn't have to do any re-wiring. The front brake might be easier to replace however.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
thanx for the info...but isn't 1 in larger than 7/8 in. Also, I have to buy new switches any ways...i am having problems with my kill switch and my harness is trash...been cutting and splicing bad sections out and decided enough was enough time for a new harness, and instead of buying one, i would rather make one.. As far as the clutch switch, it should be the same...just a normally open switch that closes when you squeeze the clutch lever.

Can i upgrade from a 7/8 bar to a 1 inch bar? what all does that entail?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Yes, 1" is bigger than 7/8" which is why the clamps would need to be machined out larger, or replaced. Bigger controls, and grips and you're riding 1" bars.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
How do you machine the clamps out bigger, can i use a 1" drum sander? or do i need to use Risers made for 1 inch bars...which would be easier?
i am likeing going with the 1" bar, seams to be more parts readily available for them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Old Fart

Garage
A inch drum sander would work fine. The clamps I believe are aluminum, so would be alot easier than steel ones. YES 1 inch is bigger...and that would mean you would have to grind out 1/16 of an inch on both sides, not alot really.
I don't have my upper fork clamp handy...but I think there is enough room between the bolts to allow this.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
I belive you are right knifemaker, i Just got done looking at my stock set up and think that the drum sander whould work fine.

Next steps in order are:
1) find my handlebars
2) Find all handcontrolls and switches
3) new cables and brake lines
4)find a 1" drum sander
6) get wire (lots and lots of wire)
7) put it all together
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
I am stating to wonder if the problem was fuel related and not electrical...I took off the tank a few days ago to look at the wiring harness and found a bad vacuum line which i replaced, and i also found that my front fuel line was 85% clogged, so i replaced all the fuel lines. (I think this was Monday) rode the bike all week to and from work. The bike never died on me once. Took the bike out for a long ride today, and still no problems.

So now I am going to push of the wiring harness until this winter when i tear the whole bike down to rebuild the engine and start really getting deep into customizing the bike to mete my wants.

Back when i built my first truck (no you read it right i built it not bought it) my dad taught me a good lesson which sticks with me today. "Before making any kind of appearance repairs and modifications, make sure you have the mechanical problems fixed first. A pretty vehicle goes no where with out a good foundation, an ugly vehicle with a good mechanical foundation can go just about any where." I have been living this ever since. I have had a lot of ugly cars and trucks, but they always got me where i needed to go and served their purpose. So for now i am going to keep working out all my bugs and put miles on the bike so i know that when i get into the bike this winter i won't have as many problems after words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement