PLEASE HELP?! MELTING WIRES, BIKE NOT STARTING! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation PLEASE HELP?! MELTING WIRES, BIKE NOT STARTING!

Hello, VULCAN PEEPS! New to this forum and have always enjoyed this site for the past year since I purchased my 2001 VN750. But now im calling out for help as im unsure if its the 110 heat outside here in Yuma or just my blind eye. but last few days been having a hard time starting my baby up. And now it has completely failed to start all together. although she will start with a jump or a bump. but just went outside to check out what the cause can be. And after jumping her, within minutes the wires by the fuse box began to get hotter than hell and noticed at the connector theyre completely melted. Heres the pic I snapped this morning Click image for larger version

Name:	melting wires.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	23865 Any help you guys can offer Id greatly GREATLY appreciate it! Wish I had a few buddies out here in Yuma that are mechanically inclined, as we just moved here from San Diego, so don't really know a soul yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 05:39 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDriven87 View Post
Hello, VULCAN PEEPS! New to this forum and have always enjoyed this site for the past year since I purchased my 2001 VN750. But now im calling out for help as im unsure if its the 110 heat outside here in Yuma or just my blind eye. but last few days been having a hard time starting my baby up. And now it has completely failed to start all together. although she will start with a jump or a bump. but just went outside to check out what the cause can be. And after jumping her, within minutes the wires by the fuse box began to get hotter than hell and noticed at the connector theyre completely melted. Heres the pic I snapped this morning Attachment 23865 Any help you guys can offer Id greatly GREATLY appreciate it! Wish I had a few buddies out here in Yuma that are mechanically inclined, as we just moved here from San Diego, so don't really know a soul yet.
No offense but......... You stated that you have been on this forum for the past year gathering information for your cycle and yet you have never bothered to do a minimal introduction. Now you seem to have a serious issue and suddenly you had enough time to register as a member and make your first post pleading for quick help with a melting electrical system. If you are not offended with my present reply than I will be sure not to be offended by your late joining and sudden cry for quick help now. I "GREATLY" appreciate your understanding. I wish you had a few buddies out there in Yuma because your cycle situation is not fun at this point. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 06-17-2015 at 09:51 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

THANKS! But truthfully my first posting was a hell of a lot longer but kept editing it down, literally the first paragraph was explaining how we moved here to be closer to the hospitals for my son to continue his medical treatment and for his continuous on going Neurologist appointments. Than I could go on and on about his Brain Tumor and slow recovery, But than ive had *******s respond "No one cares" I realize its a cruel world we live in. But was literally being as friendly as I can be, but didn't think it would help much, so I went back and deleted it all out, because if it wasn't you it would have been someone else accusing me of throwing a pitty party. So come on bro. Im always helping people out where my knowledge is helpful. just asking if anyone can be of any help. That's all!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
All Tom is saying is an introduction would have been nice in the newbie section.Tom and myself are kind of old fashioned in that way.we like to get to know people that come here,you may have more in common with Tom than you know.will say a prayer for your son and send some healing energy his way.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 06-17-2015 at 09:25 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank's OleDirtyDoc! I see where your coming from. Thankfully a lot of people were a big help, and actually had 2 people PM me with some really helpful advice (Guess they didn't want to reply on the thread, but its cool lol) and rightly so there advice was right on point. Turns out its an issue with the Rectifier/Regulator getting really hot. So went on Ebay and ordered a new one. since upon inspection mine had frayed wires that looked like they had been through hell lol AMAZING I HAVENT EXPERIENCED ANY ISSUES BEFORE THIS GIVEN ITS AWFUL APPEARANCE lol. AND THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR KIND WORDS IN REGARDS TO OUR SON EVAN! WERE ON OUR WAY BACK UP TO PHOENIX CHILDRENS TO BRING HIM BACK HOME THIS EVENING!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDriven87 View Post
THANKS! But truthfully my first posting was a hell of a lot longer but kept editing it down, literally the first paragraph was explaining how we moved here to be closer to the hospitals for my son to continue his medical treatment and for his continuous on going Neurologist appointments. Than I could go on and on about his Brain Tumor and slow recovery, But than ive had *******s respond "No one cares" I realize its a cruel world we live in. But was literally being as friendly as I can be, but didn't think it would help much, so I went back and deleted it all out, because if it wasn't you it would have been someone else accusing me of throwing a pitty party. So come on bro. Im always helping people out where my knowledge is helpful. just asking if anyone can be of any help. That's all!
Well you are actually wrong with that because my 7 1/2 year old son suddenly developed a brain tumor and had seven brain operations in less than a year. I stayed with him every night at the hospital and went to work in the morning while my wife stayed with him during the day unless he had to have an emergency operation in which case I raced from work to the medical center to see him before he went into surgery. I have told that real story here before and no one ever responded with, "No one cares." This is not that kind of group nor will it ever be that way. The kind of group it is though is a very honest and friendly group were we appreciate a bit of friendliness from those asking for some form of assistance. Most people wouldn't walk into a store and go right up to a worker and ask questions. They would be polite initially and say, "Excuse me" and then ask their question. To prove what kind of group this really is I would be willing to bet that you will receive the help you need here even though you started out as you did. To some my way of thinking and that of OleDirtyDoc may seem petty but to others it will be recognized as the proper way for a grown man to act when asking for help. If you were reading any of the posts during that time before you finally became a member you would have read about this and realized what kind of group we have here.
Again, I wish you good luck with your cycle situation and bid you welcome to the group.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
4507 miles
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:14 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
If this place EVER turns into that sorta place my ass is ****ing outta here

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 03:36 PM

Garage
Sorry to hear about your son, God speed and saying a prayer for him and your family.

As far as the burnt connector goes, I agree that the overheating R/R could be the cause of it, but what concerns me is that you may only be fixing the result and not the cause.

I would go through the process of checking the charging system from the stator outputs to the R/R reading just to be sure.
Also: check all your GROUNDS!!!
If you need help, there are plenty of folks on here willing to lend a hand.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 05:34 PM

The last two posts certainly prove the points I made. Thanks guys and I agree about the RR plus the need to test the whole charging system. No sense fixing the results without getting to the actual cause.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
4507 miles
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
Sorry to hear about your son, God speed and saying a prayer for him and your family.

As far as the burnt connector goes, I agree that the overheating R/R could be the cause of it, but what concerns me is that you may only be fixing the result and not the cause.

I would go through the process of checking the charging system from the stator outputs to the R/R reading just to be sure.
Also: check all your GROUNDS!!!
If you need help, there are plenty of folks on here willing to lend a hand.
Thank You kc2dgq!! Had a very warm welcome home for our strong lil man from our friends and neighbors this morning! Hes sitting on the bed with me right now, talking up a storm while expecially while we were watching motorcycle videos on YouTube! lol I SWEAR HES GOING TO BE ON A BIKE SOONER THAN I CAN EVER IMAGINE! HE LOVES EVERYTHING MOTOR RELATED! Thankfully this last surgery will hopefully be his last as his last 2 shunts didn't hold up to well. This new one were told is controlled magnetically and the shunt setting can be changed (if need be) non-surgically and in the office rather than on an operating table, THANK GOD FOR THESE MEDICAL ADVANCEMENTS WHICH HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN MIRACLES FOR OUR TOUGH BRAVE LIL MAN! ITS EXCEPTIONALLY SPECIAL HES HOME JUST IN TIME FOR HIS 3rd BIRTHDAY WHICH IS ON THE 9th OF JULY! WE COULDNT BE MORE EXCITED AND AGAIN I SINCERELY appreciate the thoughtfully kind words from everyone on here . And again Thanks for all the messages and tips I received both on here and in several PM's in regards to my bikes R/R and failing melting connector. I actually had a few questions in response to kc2dgq's last advice (please remember tho Im not to highly electrically knowledgeable lol) but have a general understanding of how things work -Electrically- SO...I went ahead and ordered a new R/R, But as to the connector itself can I just put a new one together myself after a quick trip to AutoZone? Or is that a Not a wise choice. The part I ordered already comes with a partial harness, just figured I could put together the other half to connect it too! And again, I really appreciate everyone's help on here. This goes a long long way for me. Expecially since Funds aren't too readably available in our current situation. So im taking my time on this now, since my sons home now (sooner then expected) , and sleeping back in our home now, and not stuck in a hospital bed anymore! GOD IM TRUELY BLESSED AND SO SO HAPPY FOR HIM TO BE HOME WITH US!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement