Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

brake light switches

ok I'm still trying to get the stupid brake lights working so I can ride until I find my bad wire to my charging system. the running light works just peachy with a side of keen. now when I hit the brakes it doesn't brighten up.

I followed wires the best I could and can't find any issues with my brake wires. someone mentioned brake switch. now looking at the wire diagram I noticed 2 switches. one by the foot. which I found..interesting spring loaded sucka. and one on the hand brake which I also located. if one of these were to go out..say the foot brake one would it break the circuit and cause them both not to work? my guess is the foot brake because when I hooked up a multimeter to the footbrake switch to check voltage while the bike is running if I hit either brake it glitches for a second and then reads 0 again. also after messing with that foot brake switch when I hit the brake again afterwords the whole tail light went out for a second and back on with no problems when I hit the brakes again. also..yeah a lot of alsos.. also when I have the cover off and watch my light bulb it flicks whenever I hit my brakes but never lights the second filiment in my bulb. my bulb is fine I checked it and replaced it with a second new one and still nothing. I have a simplified brake light. hence its aftermarket and has only one bulb that does the work of brakes/running ligh/license plate light... so only 2wires going into the housing.

I tell you have have worked on various modes of transportation before from cars/trucks/big diesle trucks and now motorcycles and I have never seen a vehicle get a multimeter used on it as much as the Vulcan750.. never seen this many threads on the same problem from people either..charging issues.. love my bike but starting to think I made a bad choice on what bike to purchase. I have a weird charging issue that my R/R is fine and so is the stator and now I have a brake light issue. by the time I'm done working on this bike I'm going to go from long hair to short hair because I pulled it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Vulcan Traitor ;)

Send a message via Yahoo to Keemez
Either switch will independently operate the brake lighting circuit.

I discovered that my front one was tango uniform so I found a replacement on ebay... from a 2004 Kawi 700 ATV. Same part number according to the ronayers parts info. The local dealer wanted 22 dollars for this switch- I found it for 2.99 plus a ludicrous 5.80 shipping charge from Colorado.

I'm pretty sure you've been referring to DIESEL engines/equipment in your posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

well that sucks then its gotta be a wire somewhere I must be overflippin lookin. ahhhhh one wire problem after another. just want it all taken care of and all the local kaw dealers want your first born BEFORE they will look at the electrical on a VN750. I mention what bike I have and every dealer I have walked in has rolled there eyes and named my electrical problems before I even tell them what's going on. I just mention electrical probs with my bike. they ask what bike. I tell them and never seen that many dealers roll their eyes. that's not a good sign there.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiaka13 View Post
well that sucks then its gotta be a wire somewhere I must be overflippin lookin. ahhhhh one wire problem after another. just want it all taken care of and all the local kaw dealers want your first born BEFORE they will look at the electrical on a VN750. I mention what bike I have and every dealer I have walked in has rolled there eyes and named my electrical problems before I even tell them what's going on. I just mention electrical probs with my bike. they ask what bike. I tell them and never seen that many dealers roll their eyes. that's not a good sign there.
They're rolling their eyes to hide the fact that they have no idea how to fix anything. Just ignore them.

Check for continuity in that wire - PO might have done something "clever" and created a bad solder joint in there somewhere. My money's still on that one wire, especially if that's the only electrical/lighting issue at the moment. One other thought :I've not studied the brake light bulbs to see if there are two filaments at work; perhaps someone can say whether just replacing the bulb would be a meaningful trouble-shooting attempt?

C
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

yeah ill do another test on that wire.....again.... but the tail light assembly I have takes a bulb with 2 filiments. ones for the riding light the other is for the brake light. and the wiring is fairly simple. 2 wires hook up to the socket. which boggles my mind because if the brake light wire were to go out wouldn't the riding light not work? my riding light does. that lights been on there for a whole season and was working just fine. I'm trying to see if the front and rear brake cometogether somewhere before the circuit continues to the tail light. that might be my problem. flippin electrical. bike is beautiful and runs beautiful with the exception of that electrical system. that's what frustrates me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement