Turn signals stopped working... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Turn signals stopped working...

so, I had previously relocated my rear turn signals, and replaced them with LED ones. Replaced the Relay with one to support LEDs, no problem, worked fine, but a friend following me said they were too dim to see well (smoked black lenses) - which explained why several times 4wheelers got really close to me when I was going to make a left turn.

So I get some replacement ones, LED as well, with clear lenses. I go to test them out by just plugging them into the factory harness butt connectors under the seat. I was going to test one at a time, but when I when to put on the turn signal or hazard lights - NOTHING. Not even a click out of the relay, as I would expect. So I think mebbe it needs both in to be balanced - nothing. Pull them off so just the fronts are inline - NOTHING. Get my old too-dim signals and plug them in - NOTHING.

All other light functions seem to be working, lo/hi beam, brakes, gauges - just anything related to turn signals.

So my question - is there possibly a separate fuse for the signals I might have blown, that could be causing this? or should I look to order another relay? I looked at all the wiring, and it looks good.

As usual, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Also wondering if it's legal to ride the bike in NY without working turn signals, if I use hand signals ?

"wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore - you have to hit them with a sledgehammer. and then you'll notice you have their strict attention"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Old Truck Junkie

You can get a blinker relay that is made for led lighting.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
You can get a blinker relay that is made for led lighting.
I do have one installed. And it had worked previously with the old LED turn signals I had installed on the rear.

Things just stopped working when I plugged in one of the new LED turn signals for the rear to test it

"wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore - you have to hit them with a sledgehammer. and then you'll notice you have their strict attention"

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 06:24 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

plug in the original non led lights and see if they work if they do then you may need some load resistors to make the led lights work if not you have an electrical issue with the bike itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rider 9984 View Post
plug in the original non led lights and see if they work if they do then you may need some load resistors to make the led lights work if not you have an electrical issue with the bike itself
do NOT use load resistors. If it works with the old bulbs, your relay needs to be replaced. Adding load resistors defeats the purpose of using LED's.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

so I plugged in the old bulbs, and still nothing. I checked all the fuses to be sure, they're all good. going to see if I can find a relay in one of the local shops, else I'll have to wait for internet order

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Crowley

You can find one. Find the electric flasher at autozone, ep34 I think.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

ProTip (tm) a Thermal Flasher, even though it has the same pinout and voltage, does not work.

Off to Autozone to get an EP34 and spare 30amp fuses.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 PM

Mine did this when I swapped to rear LEDs. Unexplainable, they just started working again. But I did go back to all original. And I also had to swap the wires on each light as well.....like they actually had a hot and cold wire and if they were not on the correct lead they would work at all. Just an idea...and yes, I know. Weird.

Also, the EP34 will work with LED lights as mentioned earlier and about 1000 other times in these forums.

2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI

Previous bike: 2002 Vulcan 750
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

VICTORY !!!

EP34 did the trick. Somehow when I extended the wires on the aftermarket LED turn signals, and put them in heat-shrink, I managed to have bare wires touching on one side, which fried the original relay I had in there.

Fixed that, replaced the relay and working great now. Now the bike will pass inspection next month.

Once again you folks prove how awesome of a community we have here. Thanks to everyone that helped me out. Now on to my next challenge with this bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement