Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

brake light issues

hey kids so I have a slight problem and see if anyone can help lead me in the right direction to find a short in a wire.

ok so the other day I'm riding and everyonce in a while I look back at my tail light to make sure the socket didn't walk its way out of the bracket it slides in. (I bought my bike from someone that put one of those iron cross tail lights on it.) so I looked back..riding light juuust fine.. but wait I had my hand on the brake and it was not brightening up. so I tapped both front and rear brakes ... nothing.. riding light is glowing just fine but brake light isn't lighting up the other filement in my bulb. I changed bulbs around to my back up new one..still nothing. only my riding filiment is lighting up.

the reason I think its a bad wire is that day my fan kicked on and off because of it being in the 80s and I have to ride at higher RPMs now and again to get that battery back up to the voltage seeing I'm still hunting down a short in my charging system(update on that is put another reg in and checked the stator and all is checking out fine..i got it to read [email protected] and [email protected] for an hour. changed my oil and afterwords I checked it again and it went back down to [email protected] and [email protected] has to be a wire somewhere.)

ok none the less back to that tail light. I know the wire runs past some hot engine areas. where would be a good place to check for a section of brake light wire that got too hot and melted or shorted at?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The first check I'd do is look for a short in the taillight wiring harness - there's a x-number-pin connector that comes off the taillight and hooks into the main harness. So start with that, since that's easy to get to (pull the saddle and there it is). I believe the blue (L in the wiring diagram) is the brake light wire - the red is connected to the ignition, and sounds like it's working fine.

In re: the r/r and connector - sounds like you had it going for a bit; did you dad help with the hookup of the connector? And an oil change set it off again... a puzzle, for sure.

C
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

hey ill look but the tail light wires were slightly altered due to only one light in the tail..instead of 2 lights plus a lucense plate light I have one light bulb and a clear lense under the assembly that lights the plate. so one light bulb doing the job of 3..save on voltage..

however that 13-14v was before I hooked up the R/R you sent me. I re-did bad wires it registered low still. put my seat back on and next day took the seat back off to check again that's when I was pushing the correct voltage. put the seat back on to get her on the center stand to change oil. after I changed oil I took the seat off and was back to 12.5v again...im thinkin has something to do with a wire under the seat

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiaka13 View Post
hey ill look but the tail light wires were slightly altered due to only one light in the tail..instead of 2 lights plus a lucense plate light I have one light bulb and a clear lense under the assembly that lights the plate. so one light bulb doing the job of 3..save on voltage..

however that 13-14v was before I hooked up the R/R you sent me. I re-did bad wires it registered low still. put my seat back on and next day took the seat back off to check again that's when I was pushing the correct voltage. put the seat back on to get her on the center stand to change oil. after I changed oil I took the seat off and was back to 12.5v again...im thinkin has something to do with a wire under the seat
Hmmm. Well, even if the wiring were altered, the brake/riding light can only have three wires - one to the ignition (so it stays lit while you're riding), one for when you trigger the brake light, and one ground wire. Even if the one bulb is doing the job of another (the license plate light), it's still running off the wire to the ignition since that's a constant source of power.

Did your dad re-do the wires and then you were getting 13-14v? If that happened without the r/r I sent, then it's definitely not that. And I'm sorry, I'm forgetting, but did you check the wiring harness waaaaaay up in there? If you look at the connector I sent, I traced the wires up, what, at least a foot before I cut them. It is entirely possible that your r/r wires are getting pinched under the saddle, since there's a section of the harness that runs right under there. Get yourself a big role of electrical tape (so you can put bunched wires back in their bunches) and see if you can track where the pinch might be. As far as I can tell, the r/r wires do not change color anywhere along the way - however, PO may have had to do a little fixin' and you might find a bad solder joint.

Good luck!

C
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
pro skateboarder

yeah the 13-14v thing i did before i installed the R/R you had sent me. however the harness that you sent with it was a god send. there is one thing i think might be the problem.. i was doing some thinking on a take a step back and anaylize the steps i took to get to the correct charging system voltage and how the hell i could of lost it.

heres what i came up with. I had to redo the 3bullet connectors from my stator as they were so corroded that there was no cleaning them to get them back to a decent form. so i just installed brand new shiny ones. next for some reason i still dont know why but the PO had spliced into one of the main ground wires that attaches to the frame by the battery.. not the actual negative battery wire but the smaller ground wire attached to the battery wire. the tard had twisted the two ends together and put electrical tape around them. so i went in and but a butt connector on it and shrink tubbed it. well when i tested my system after i had done that i was still pushing like 12.7v max @ 5000RPMs,, so i put the seat back on and came back to it the next day. i took the seat off and tested it again to see where i stood and where i should start then wow 13v min 14.2max @5000RPMs,, right where it should be. so then i put the seat back on so i could get it on the center stand to do the second half of my oil change and then after words i took the seat back off and checked the voltage again,, boom right back at the 12s again,, im thinking it has to do with either that ground wire OR one of the other wires under that seat. im guessing ground wire seeign that is the only wire under the seat that i messed with.

as for the tail light,, yeaaah im still working on that seeing i have not really had the time to work on it lately.. buggin the hell out of me. i want to ride.. had the bike for a month and a half and put 900miles on her already.. not enough yet.. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement