stator r/r & battery replace all? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

stator r/r & battery replace all?

The advice / info from the forum has helped get the carbs clean and the bike is running much better. Is the next step is to adjust sync, or solve the charging problem? Or go ahead pull/tilt engine and do both?
I'm not sure I need to change the stator, r/r and battery, except I know my bike is not charging. The battery is a wet cell; PO said it was "new". I relocated the r/r it appears to be original or at least old. I hooked an analog vom to the battery at 1k rpm approx. 12 -13 volts, rev up to 4 - 5k no change. The bike will not start without the battery charger on, when running it gets rough when I disconnect the charger, and the volts drop a little.
Should I go ahead and pull/tilt engine and take a look and plan on changing the stator, the r/r and get a new MF battery? I am not diagnostician, just a parts changer, unless someone can suggest different I will plan to change out all 3 items mentioned above.
Also there seems to be some choices as to what products to use. Rick has; stator, $140, r/r $100, and I read in the forums about 2 MF battery choices both about the same price. Electo… has a stator, $119, no r/r listed, but I also read about oem r/rs from Bike Bandit etc. Why the significant price difference?
Also a forum member has a known good used stator for sale for about $50.00 less, is this a good choice?
thanks 3z.

Last edited by jmczzz; 06-13-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to whrizan I now have the Electrosport fault finding chart in hand. today I will try to be a bit more systematic about finding out whats up!
thanks for tolerating my ignorance.
3z
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:01 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Take the battery to an auto parts store to have it load tested.
As many have said here, many times, even a new battery can be junk.

I wouldn't think about a stator change until all other options are dealt with first.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Now what

I'd follow the fault finding chart to know where the problem is. You could replace the stator and the R/R just to find you didn't fix the problem and ruin one or both of the new, expensive and hard to replace parts. That might just push you over the edge. (or at least you might push the bike over an edge)

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 06:45 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczzz View Post
Thanks to whrizan I now have the Electrosport fault finding chart in hand. today I will try to be a bit more systematic about finding out whats up!
thanks for tolerating my ignorance.
3z
Hey man my pleasure, anything that I can do to help out another Vulcan Brother/Sister.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Help! my r/r wires don't follow the guide (see Above) I have 6 wires, 3 yellow, 1 brown and 1 black with yellow stripe and 1 white. Now What!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

ok I checked the forum further and found how to test the r/r from the connector. It tested bad. 3z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement