Battery issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Battery issue

Well today was suppose to be the day that I pull my bike out for the 1st time since owning it to ride it for the first time. Last night before I stopped for the night my battery was low on charge so I put the trickle charge on it and it charged up enough to crank the bike. Then I shut it off and later went to crank the bike back and it turned over about 3 times and stopped all together like the motor had locked up.

This morning I got out there and I thought it sounded like the starter had issues and found the starter bolt was loose. I am not sure but that may be what killed my battery. I know loose connections draw more current. Well I tightened it and then the bike turned over about 5 times then dead. Nothing, no clicks, nothing worked and the lights went real dim on the cluster.

Finally got my chance to ride and the battery is dead. It is showing 12.54 volts when the bike switch is on but when I go to crank it, it shows 7.54 volts which is too weak to do anything. I don't have any money to buy a new one. I won't be going back to Walmart to get another one as those only have a 90 warranty on them. So I guess I will have to wait. Think I will go cry somewhere.

To make sure it isn't a bad starter I am hooking up a car battery. That will tell me quickly if I damaged the starter.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

well it still just whines. I never heard a solenoid whine they normally click. Don't know what it could be unless my car battery is dead too. My bike has always been hard to turn over, maybe it is the starter. Will the loose connector cause it to go bad. It isn't loose now though.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

I'll look into this tomorrow. I always take off on saturday and try not to work and rest the body and not stress or worry about life. I didn't do that today. So I will go back to my Shabbats days rest. It will probably work tomorrow.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 07:28 PM

That sucks man. I know you've put a ton of work into it. I don't recall everything you've done, but it sounds like you have some issues with the wiring. Was it a maintenance free battery? Has it been verified as dead?

Mine wouldn't jump off from my truck, starter just whined, but fired right up with the coil relay mod and a new AGM battery.

1991 VN750, purchased 5/5/15, 9092 miles
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Well I found it isn't the battery. I am hoping it isn't the starter. I am trying to go to a National bike Rally in 3 weeks and I need a new battery and possibly a starter. Just hope the engine isn't locked up. Is there any way to turn the engine over like you would in a car engine.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 11:24 PM
Love My Baby

Yes, you can push start your bike just like you would a car. I've had to do that before and it works great. But your battery's voltage of 7.54 volts when you're cranking it tells me there's an issue, possibly a sulfated battery, and it should be replaced. I just bought a DEKA battery, part # ETX15L, from Tri-State Battery for $64.95, no tax, no shipping. Check it out HERE

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

ok guys. I have the starter off the bike and I decided to hit the starter switch and the solenoid is clicking like it did with the starter on the bike. Does the solenoid suppose to click when it engages?

Has it been doing this the entire time and I couldn't hear it because the bike was cranking, or do I need to look for something else?

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 10:19 PM

You should hear the solenoid click as the contacts close.

"Katie"
2002 VN 750, stock except for accessories
Mustang seat
Super Bright LED brake strobe on trunk
About 25k miles
All drive train maintenance performed, drive shaft coupler replaced
Way more experienced at pulling VN 750 carbs than I ever wanted to be.
TOC ACCT rebuild kits installed
Pick up coil mod
Cooling system flushed, refilled with fresh coolant
Petcock rebuilt
VN sold, current steed Honda ST 1300
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

starter is rebuilt. Now my cheap battery from Walmart is working better. Guess the starter had been going out for a while.

My spark plugs are black and I just put them in, may need adjusting there. Now to get some people over here to help me get it out of the building.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

starter is back down. this is getting old. I think the cylinder in the starter is bent and it is causing the start to draw too much amps. I hopefully got a friend loaning me a extra starter so I can test to see if it is my starter.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement