Starting problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Starting problem

I originally had this question in "Engine". However, now my problem is electrical. So......bike won't start. Just installed a brand spanking new starter Battery shows 12.97 at rest (it's fairly new). When I turn key on, switch to run, and press start button, I hear a click but no start. I measure battery and load when attempting to start drops voltage to 6v or less. When I stopped messing, I saw a tiny puff of smoke at wire from solenoid. Any suggestions? Solenoid or weak battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

At 12.97v your battery is fully charged. Solenoids generally don't smoke since they are basically just an electromagnet that makes a connection. I'd suspect the brushes in your starter or the engine may be locked up.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryrailroad View Post
I originally had this question in "Engine". However, now my problem is electrical. So......bike won't start. Just installed a brand spanking new starter Battery shows 12.97 at rest (it's fairly new). When I turn key on, switch to run, and press start button, I hear a click but no start. I measure battery and load when attempting to start drops voltage to 6v or less. When I stopped messing, I saw a tiny puff of smoke at wire from solenoid. Any suggestions? Solenoid or weak battery?
Uh oh. All sorts of bad things happen when you let the smoke out. Something is making that circuit overload, and the quickest way to do that is with something binding the starter motor.

I haven't had mine apart, but looking at the parts diagram, there's a one way clutch between the starter and crank gear. Meaning the starter will turn the engine, but the engine won't turn the starter. If it does indeed work like that, you could turn the crank by hand but if the binding is on the starter side you wouldn't know.

1991 VN750, purchased 5/5/15, 9092 miles

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 PM

Don't take that about a clutch as gospel until someone else chimes in, I'm making assumptions based on the parts diagram.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 09:47 PM

Could be a defective starter, that's a huge drop from 12.97v down to 6v, that starter is drawing amps HARD.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:14 PM
2014 KLR 650!

You can run a wire directly from the starter to the batter and see if it spins. Don't take the starter off with oil in the bike though.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:52 PM

The OP has already done most everything except rewire his bike and tear the engine back down. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72426

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:52 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I'll just say again then that these starters are pretty solid so probably not the starter. There isn't much to a starter anyway. Cars have more starter problems because mechanics like to sell them.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Crowley

Test the junction box, double check for exposed wires (particularly by the left side neck), check fuses, ensure good ground (triple check all three grounds [right side battery box mounting bolt to rear bolt on engine, frame to negative, and harness to frame])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement