Another charging issue (after new stator & r/r) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Another charging issue (after new stator & r/r)

Everything was running fine...bike was charging as of saturday after putting everything in...

bike died on me at the grocery store...battery dead...got a jump from a buddy and was able to get it to work...checked the fuses on my stator, they are all good...what should i check next? this is so disheartening...i want to enjoy my bike, not worry that every time i ride it there's a good chance i'll get stuck somewhere

EDIT:

Not that this has anything to do with anything but my friend who was working on the bike let it idle for about 20 minutes on friday and said the r/r got super hot...could he have blown the r/r?

Last edited by wowitsmike; 06-09-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Man, I got to tell you after finding my stator wires burned on the goat's belly that is one tight and hot spot to be running those semi-naked wires. I'm thinking they need to be wrapped in some heat shield. On one side is Hell (Goat Belly) and on the other side is Hotter than Hell (Engine) with less that 2" of clearance at best on each side of the wires and nothing underneath but sizzling blacktop. That is one hot spot and I figure the engine to frame wire is there in hopes of burning first. I re-routed my stator wires along the side of the engine under the left exhaust and I don't know if that is really any cooler or not. Not real satisfied and wonder how you guy's deal with it...heat wrap?

Anyhow wowwow, that would be the first place I'd check after replacing things and sudden death. BTW, after re-connecting my burnt wires it looks like I was lucky and everything seems fine again.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I am currently going through the same issue. New stator and RR, and the bike charges fine for a short time then seems to have trouble. I would suggest that you follow the steps in the Electrosport fault finding guide (www.electrexusa.com/Images/fault_finding.pdf) to zero in on the problem. My tests indicate a short somewhere in the switched power circuit. I'm going to have to do some detailed wire tracing to attempt to find the problem. Good Luck! Let me know how it works out for you.

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

i honestly don't know if i want to do that...i am so effing fed up at the moment
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I know exactly how you feel!!!

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Mike,
A couple questions to try to figure this out.....

Are you sure the key was turned off and all the lights were out?
Are you sure the rad fan didn't keep running even after things were cooled down?

One2, as for wrapping the wires.... Probably not a good idea, as that would also hold the heat they create in. All the wires from the stator should be left separated so they can be air cooled.
Many here think that Kawasaki used wires that were just enough to handle the power going thru, when they shoulda used something that could handle more.
If anything, move the R/R to a cooler location.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

the key was off and out...i did leave the blinker on but since there was no power would that effect it?

the fan turned off before i walked inside, i distinctly remember that

i got a jump from a friend and got about two miles down the road before it died again...and its an almost brand new MF battery so im thinking thats not the culprit...i wont be able to test stuff with a meter until later so i really can't do anything else now...ugh...i am about this close to putting this thing on craigslist or parting it out

its good news for the stator that my fuses didn't blow right?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

when we got the new stator, resistance read .5 ohms now its reading 1.0, 1.1, & 1.2 for the leads from the stator...this isn't looking good

when measuring resistance we went from (-) to each wire

when measuring resistance of the three stator wires and the engine, i got OL, 1.5 ohms, & 1.5 ohms...those last two readings tell me its the stator but i dont want to believe it...does the battery need to be in for this reading?

Last edited by wowitsmike; 06-09-2008 at 06:04 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowitsmike View Post
when measuring resistance of the three stator wires and the engine, i got OL, 1.5 ohms, & 1.5 ohms...those last two readings tell me its the stator but i dont want to believe it...does the battery need to be in for this reading?
Sorry to say but nope. I can understand your desires that it could be anything but the stator but from your readings the stator is fried my friend. the last 2 readings arent bad its the OL that tells me you have bad coil of wires in there.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

Last edited by wkrizan; 06-09-2008 at 07:10 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

what pisses me off is that bikebandit won't replace the stator unless i get a cert mechanic to say its broken and since i did all the work, im screwed basically
Sponsored Links
Advertisement