Melty goodness - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Melty goodness

As I stated in my introductory thread, I picked up a 91 750 last week with 9100 miles. The lady I bought it from said that it got to where it would only start when jumped, and so she got a new battery and the same issue happened. I immediately figured something simple was robbing voltage from the coils. I bumped the starter before handing over my dollars just to verify it wasn't seized. I'm pretty confident that I can fix anything. Eventually.

Looking at it last week, I tried to start it because I'm a dumbass and the negative terminal on the battery started melting. I had to grab tools, pull the seat, and pull the cable off, then let everything cool before taking the battery out. It wasn't until a day or so later that I realized the starter was still turning as I was pulling the seat. I was too concerned with the melting smell on my carport.

Other obligations (Mother's Day weekend getaway) got in the way of looking at it, but in retrospect I'm thinking that the starter has been going bad, robbing voltage, and my ungentle thumb overheated it, causing the solenoid to stick closed. This is just a guess until I look at it.

Not really asking anything in this thread, just rambling for a moment. I guess I've already got post-count envy.

1991 VN750, purchased 5/5/15, 9092 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 PM

if you would have flipped the run button to off, it would have killed the power to the starter. Of course in the heat of the moment we don't remember things like that.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseedsower View Post
if you would have flipped the run button to off, it would have killed the power to the starter. Of course in the heat of the moment we don't remember things like that.
Bought a 600 ninja that a friend of mine laid down because the throttle stuck.I told him the same thing.and pull in the clutch.he said"Yeah like that was the LAST thing on my mind"

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseedsower View Post
The starter will still spin with the run button in the OFF position, it just won't start. I think so anyway.

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm guessing that the solenoid welded itself closed from the current draw, otherwise when I let go of the start button it would have stopped spinning.

I have every intention of being home early enough tomorrow to look at it.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:34 AM
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post
The starter will still spin with the run button in the OFF position, it just won't start. I think so anyway.

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm guessing that the solenoid welded itself closed from the current draw, otherwise when I let go of the start button it would have stopped spinning.

I have every intention of being home early enough tomorrow to look at it.
Nope, on the 750 (and the 900 for that matter) the starter will NOT spin with the kill switch set to OFF. Unless something else is wrong of course.

I have had other bikes though where the starter would still spin with the switch set to off.

I'd start simple and see if your starter relay has failed. (like you mentioned, it's possible that it's failed in the closed (run) position)

If it's the starter that stuck, you can get a rebuild kit on eBay for fairly cheap, and it's not too hard to pull apart and reassemble. Or maybe, it just needs to be pulled apart and cleaned up?

Hopefully your battery terminal didn't melt down to much and destroy your new battery. That would suck.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)

Last edited by Ndr; 05-13-2015 at 01:36 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

I was wrong. Sorry about that, it's my inexperience with this bike showing.

Oh yeah, it's good and melted. Still holds a charge though. I picked up a new one over the weekend but I didn't do the core exchange. I'm going to wait and use the melted one with jumper cables until I'm sure I have whatever caused the issue fixed so I don't damage the replacement.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:55 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I don't know of any bike that will do much of anything with the kill switch off. Being the point of kill switches and stuff like that there :-)

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:32 AM

The kill switch will cut power from the start button, but if the solenoid is stuck, the starter will turn anyway.

I would definitely replace the solenoid first.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

It may have just been faulty and I didn't catch it but the cx500 I revived a couple of years ago would spin with the kill switch on. It would still kill it when it was running though so I didn't question it. I think it was an 81, but I can't remember. It was nice looking, but fifty pounds heavier I couldn't even throw my leg over it so as soon as I got it fired up I found it a new home. It shows up on Craigslist every now and then. Even though I've lost weight I'm probably going to end up putting a mean streak seat on the Vulcan, then maybe shorter shocks.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 AM

A lot of the older bikes would spin over with the kill switch set to off, I remember cranking for a bit then finding I left the kill sw. off. Some people would run their battery dead before they figured out what was wrong.

Once those starter solenoid contacts get burned or welded, they are more prone to getting stuck again. Been there, done that too. Had a 70 Charger that started cranking when I got out and shut the door, ended up with a push button on that one. Didn't know as much about mechanics back then. Have had several GM solenoids stick like that. Long crank times will overheat the contacts, as will excess amp draw on the starter.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement