Electrical problem? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Electrical problem?

I believe my '02 VN750 has developed an electrical problem of some sort. The starter will not engage, although clicks will be heard from the relay. Also, at the last point I had it running it produced a backfire then sounded like it was running on one cylinder, during which point the tachometer reading varied dramatically (from around 1k to 7k) and it soon stalled. After this, I noticed that I would not get any lights on the indicator panel on occasion, particularly the oil or neutral light when it wasn't running and was in neutral.

I'd completed a ~80 mile ride in the early afternoon and the bike sat for about three hours. I was able to start it once, and the above-mentioned problems began shortly thereafter. Moisture is not an unreasonable possibility as we did have a light shower during the time it sat.

Anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately, I can't just walk out to the bike as it is at my MIL's house. I'm working on securing a truck and trailer so I can get it home. I do have a new (installed in March) maintenance free battery in the bike and would keep it connected to a smart charger (BatteryTender Jr model) when parked at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Forum Faciliator

Re: Electrical problem?

How is your battery? And check your fuses.

Start there then let us know.

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to reply; it was after midnight when I returned last night.

Although I had visually inspected the fuses at the time, I decided to double-check when checking other possibilities. The fuses are good, and the battery appears good (gives 12.94V.)

I had my manual with me and looked through some diagnostics. Testing the starter relay with the starter lead detached produced the expected result (single click, 0 Ohm) but if the starter is connected it makes repeative clicks.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

After much time checking and trying, I've come to the following:

Battery was shot - gave the right voltage but couldn't even budge the starter. I put the old battery in again and it cranked. I installed a new, fully-charged battery and things look good electrically.

Stator looks good and is giving me the readings I should get, including infinite resistance between any lead and ground. I did a couple other things that were about due anyhow, like replaced the spark plugs, having checked that they had the correct gap.

It runs smoothly, but has *no* power under load - it's very easy to stall when attempting to move-off from a stop, hills I used to be able to take in fifth I can barely maintain speed if I downshift to second, etc. The acceleration in first feels more like being in fifth and slightly rolling the throttle.

Anyone have any suggestions what I should check next?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Trouble-shooting thought--

I had something like this happen to me on an old Kawasaki LTD500. Turned out the electronic ignition was bad.
If I'm not mistaken, the VN750 has the ignition exiter magnets in the same piece that provides the magnets for the alternator. If those magnets are weak, it might (emphasis *might*) be causing this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:38 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
have you checked to see if both cyls. are fireing? if not which isnt?

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarphBobo
...but has *no* power under load - it's very easy to stall when attempting to move-off from a stop, hills I used to be able to take in fifth I can barely maintain speed if I downshift to second, etc. The acceleration in first feels more like being in fifth and slightly rolling the throttle...
Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Did you do anything to the tank or fuel lines while you were working on it? Maybe the tank's not getting vented. If you open the gas cap and get a "whoosh", your tank's not getting the air that it needs.

CD in Frederick, OK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement