What would cause this issue? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Question What would cause this issue?

Hey friends, I am sure someone has heard of this before, but here is my problem anyway. I have a 97 Vulcan and it only has 6000 miles on it. i bought the bike used not that long ago and the only issues I have had are;
a few carb issues with rough idle, would idle high at warm up. It had a very inconsistent idle. So I tried a couple of fuel treatments (Seafoam) and it would only help short term. I then took the carbs out and cleaned them the right way and so far so good.

Now my second problem that I have encountered has me baffled? First let me start off by saying my coolant level is good, thermostat is working properly and my fan is also working and operates at propper temperartures.
This issue has happened to me 4x now and I do not understand why. It has aways happened after I have riden for 20 or more minutes the temp. reaches the just below or right at the halfway mark, and if i am sitting still the engine just cuts out. Each time that it does this I am sitting still at idle. WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS PROBLEM? Then all that i have to do to get it to start back up is to turn the key off then back on and it will start right back up. Anyone else have or has had this problem? Any suggestions or a fix would be greatly appreciated. Thanks BUCKMAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds like you may have a fault in your ignition switch. Sometimes dirty contacts in the base of the switch cause the bike to die. With the bike at idle, try turning the handlebars full right and see if it dies. This is another symptom of a faulty ignition switch.
There are 2 things you can do if the switch is faulty.
1. tear it apart and clean and/or resolder any weak or broken wires
2. buy a new igintion switch and live with needing 3 keys.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:05 PM

I recently had this happening and it turned out the battery ground connection was loose. I'd check and make sure the battery and "Ground" connections are tight first.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Do you think that this could be the R/R heating up and shutting the bike down. Because unlike most I have not relocated it and this has only happened on the warmest days?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Do you think that this could be the R/R heating up and shutting the bike down. Because unlike most I have not relocated it and this has only happened on the warmest days?

Not likely. the R/R does not "shut down" the bike. It could of course not send the battery enough juice to charge..but if your battery is good it would run for many miles even if you removed the R/R.

Ignition switch seems likely.

I would however suggest installing a voltmeter. This will tell you if the R/R is charging the battery correctly.
I never moved the R/R on my bike and had no problems with it...although I did notice that when stuck in traffic on a very very hot day the voltage to the battery was lower. (but still enough to keep the bike running..12.5 volts)

Now..from what you descibe, that the shuts down, meaning it dies, with no warning like you hit the kill switch...you might want to check the wires...to the kill switch, but it sounds like a bad connection in the ignition..(as why do you have to turn the key off and back on again to start it?)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will have a closer look at the ignition switch and hopefully see the answer. I will let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks, BUCKMAN.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Benjammin'

These are probably not your problem, but it never hurts to consider the unsuspected areas;

A few years back, someone posted in here they had a strange situation where they thought their ignition switch somehow "shorted" out and allowed the keys on the keychain to complete a ground circuit to the handlebars. They said this caused their bike to run strange with unexpected shut downs. Not sure if that ended up being the root cause of their problem, but I just remember reading about that some time ago.

Also- as long as I'm thinking wierd causes, check your kickstand switch. My bike actually had the kickstand bolt work loose and though my switch still worked, there were others who had the bolt loosen up, but caused the bike to unexpectledly die (when starting out) becuase the switch would slip out of position when the stand was up.

I agree with one2 about checking your ground wires. The one on the battery first, then clean the contact points on the wire to the frame and the engine. Those contact points seem to corrode (rust) easily.

Good luck and let us know what you end up discovering.

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Sometimes I think the biggest problem is just getting down to have a closer look at everything. My bike completely quit charging the battery two days ago, bad bad thoughts about Stator and R/R replacement haunted me (I don't have a multimeter)...but today I thought I'd check to make sure of the connections...least I could do. I found my Stator wires had dropped down onto the Goat's Belly and burnt. I patched and moved them and think I might now be good to go. If it doesn't rain, I'll know tomorrow. Things like that can cause all kind of strange problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement