Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Main 30A Fuse Blown

Ok, so I had this problem once before and now again today. The 1st time I went to start up and no power, found the main 30a fuse blown. Replaced it and it ran fine for the past 2 months (around 400 miles). Now today I start up, back up a little and when I went to turn and take off it died. Pulled the cover and the fuse was blown again! Changed the fuse and got home, took off the seat and both side covers to look over the wiring and connectors and everything looks fine there. Is it possible that the battery could arc from the positive terminal to the frame if the boot was off? It's a good 3/4" away. What other obvois areas could I look at without ripping the bike apart. Also I noticed 2 pigtails under the right cover with female spades connectors that didn't seem to go to anything. What are they for? I've been meaning to get a repair manual, guess I should now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery2.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	867Attachment 868

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250

Last edited by shark88; 04-28-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I don't have an answer, but I want to mention checking carefully and closely; another member just posted here recently about his whole harness getting char-b-qued. (though I don't know if he's found why yet)

I think those terminals you found are for aux power.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The two wires under the cover are your accessory leads. (I used mine to install a plug in the back of the bike to charge my phone)

There are also two wires in the headlight shell...this might be a good place to start, as although the shell is plastic, the chrome finish on it make it a good conductor, and a naked lead in your bucket could be shorting out and blowing the fuse.

2 months does kind of sound like a wire some where is touching...under the right conditions., but then it could just be a random coiencidence (check the spelling on that ok...lol)

I'd check the wires, replace the fuse and see if it does it again before making anything out of it.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Now what

Remove the seat. The wiring harness crosses from the right to the left just aft of the battery. On my bike the harness had been nylon tied to the frame so tight, the head of a bolt was cutting into it and shorting one of the wires and blowing the 30 amp fuse. I could only tell because the tape around the wires was chewed into. I loosened it up and didn't have anymore problems.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The two wires under the cover are your accessory leads. (I used mine to install a plug in the back of the bike to charge my phone)

There are also two wires in the headlight shell...this might be a good place to start, as although the shell is plastic, the chrome finish on it make it a good conductor, and a naked lead in your bucket could be shorting out and blowing the fuse.

2 months does kind of sound like a wire some where is touching...under the right conditions., but then it could just be a random coiencidence (check the spelling on that ok...lol)

I'd check the wires, replace the fuse and see if it does it again before making anything out of it.

KM
So did you hook one of those univeral lighter/accessory plugs for you cell phone? I was wondering about hooking a plug up for the Garmin.

Day 2 on the new fuse, no problems. I'll look again for pinched wires next time I take the seat off. Thanks.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement