Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Wireing harness woes

Looking for advice...long story short, Saturday night while riding my bike home from work it died on me. After getting a jump, I finished the 2 mile ride. Total trip was 10 miles at the most. I thought the problem lay within the charging system again, but when i hooked the battery up to the charger it was fully charged. I hooked the Battery back up to the bike and tried starting the bike. All electrical system were a go...other than the starter button, or the ignition switch. The lights all worked at normal brightness, all gauges registered, but the engine wouldn't turn over. I then turned the ignition switch off and back on, this time the engine turned over and started...for a brief second. IT ran very rough and the gauge lights kept flashing on and off.

I then started the bike one more time after it died. this time when i turned the key on a lot of smoke came up between the seat and gas tank. I removed the seat to find my wiring harness melting (when I saw the smoke i naturaly turned off the iginition and the kill switch). But the smoke kept coming
I couldn't take teh negative battery cable fast enough and the whole wiring harness from tail lights to headlights melted. I didn't blow any fuses, and all major elelecrical parts seam to be in tact.

I tore into the ewiring harness and found that all my posative wires to be good, but every single black with yellow stripe was melted. I can't find out where a hot wire touched these ground wires. where are some
common place for the wires to fray at? Also what would be more practical, wiring the harness my self...I have excellent wiring skills and soldiering skills, or buy another OEM harness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 PM

i noticed over on ebay someone is selling a wiring harness for 35.00. you might think about it. heres the item number:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Now what

Dang, that's weird. Don't have any easy answers but I know the white wire with the red stripe carries the current from the battery to the junction box. There's a bullet connector in it. If you want to try and figure out what happened, I'd start tracing that wire. If the harness is as fried as you say, a new one would probably be the way to go.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
i rewired my bike and it was easy... if u need help w/ noing how to wire it lmk

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Found the problem...the brake light had a short in it..i fixed it and just spliced the ground wire....it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. thanks for all your help guys.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
ok its been two weeks since i fried my tail light ground wire. Now I will be riding to work (total distance 12 miles) and when i get about 5 blocks from work the bike dies. When i say die i mean it is like i hit the kill switch and shut it off. to start the bike again, i have to flip the kill switch a few times. Once in awhile this doesn't even work and i have to set for about 2 to three minutes before the bike starts again.

This isn't an absolute problem. Meaning it doesn't do it every time I ride, and it does it seam to matter about weather, riding conditions, speed, rpm or it just does it sometimes, and other times it rides normal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 AM

I think what I'd do is start watching eBay, try to snatch up a wiring harness and the handlebar switch blocks for a '90-up, and swap out the harness. Sounds like the frying may have taken the spring outa some of the contacts; not only in the right switch block, but possibly even in the ignition switch.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
I think what I'd do is start watching eBay, try to snatch up a wiring harness and the handlebar switch blocks for a '90-up, and swap out the harness. Sounds like the frying may have taken the spring outa some of the contacts; not only in the right switch block, but possibly even in the ignition switch.

Jim
I think you are right, now every few times i have to turn off the ignition swith and turn it back on again to get eh bike to restart. it is getting anoying
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
how hard would it be to wire in some chrome switches off of somthing else that has a 7/8" bar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement