Electrosport Sent Me the Wrong Stator!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Angry Electrosport Sent Me the Wrong Stator!!!

I tore the right side of the engine apart today and went to mount the new stator when low a behold, IT DOESN'T FIT!!! It's too big around and none of the mounting holes line up. The part number on the box is the correct one but this is definitely the wrong stator. Now I have to wait until at least Monday as they are not open on weekends. I"m bummed!!!

At least I found out that the balancer grommet are NOT the issue with the loud, not ACCT related ticking the bike makes. When turning the balancer shaft, the noise is coming from the left side. I suspect the left side balancer of the one way starter clutch. I had some issues when I put it back together. I also was able to put that pesky circlip back where it belongs on the shift shaft.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Sorry to hear that - frustrating to be almost there...and not. Question on the circlip ('cause I've got one that's "pesky" as well): Did you end up replacing it (as in, "putting in a new one") or just re-placing it? I'm wondering if they have a tendency to weaken over time - pretty high-use area, as it were.

C
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Search Goddess

That is another reason why a lot of us have looked to other sources for the stator. Rick's are clean, neat and no fitment issues.
Do the electrosport ones still come all globbed up with the blue epoxy? If you check you may find that the epoxy coating isn't consistent either. I know of a couple that did get the right fitment holes but the epoxy rubbed.
Personally I don't even look at Electrosport any more.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

The epoxy finish is better than the OEM's. The Kaw part looks gobbed on while the ES at least has an even finish to it. My stator isn't burnt out, but it does have some high resistance shorts to ground so it's only a matter of time. This is a pre-emptive strike as it were.
The main reason I went with ES was I couldn't justify to my accountant (wife) the additional 50 bucks for what appeared to be an identical part. Maybe I was mistaken in this and if ES won't cooperate, I'll be forced to go elsewhere for the stator. They'd at least better refund my money.
From what I can gather, there are only a handful of stator/R/R manufacturers and many marketers. It's kind of like DVD drives for the 'puter. About 3 real makers and many subcontracters selling them under their name. Looking at Rick's and ES, the pics were the same as was RMStator. The stator I got from ES is just the wrong part period. The box label is correct but it looks like one of the labels was replaced but the part inside the box wasn't. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow what ES can do about it.
Cindy, I just re positioned the circlip. I think I followed a misleading diagram of where the stupid thing was supposed to go when I put her back together. The shift shaft was like that from the get go. I just finally got smart enough to put it back the right way. Now we'll have to see what the noise on the right side is. When I put her back together 2 years ago, the right side balancer assembly was loose even though the bolt was tightened to spec. I asked on the VROC site about this and got no response so I just figured that was the way it was supposed to be. According to the microfiche, I have all the correct parts in the correct order but I think it shouldn't be loose like it is. It's almost like a washer or spacer is missing and allowing the assembly to wobble on the shaft. Since you have had yours apart more than I have, how was your right side balancer? Loose or tight?

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:13 PM

sorry to hear that they sent you the wrong stator. i ordered my stator from them a few weeks ago and could not believe how fast i received it. as far as the expoy stuff around the wires, i think the true test of the stator would be if some one would say "i have used the electrolux stator for 40000 miles". i asked this question a few weeks ago on this forum, no one responded. makes me think most people install the stator and sell the bike before they blow another stator.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

There are several on the VROC site that have used ES stators. Some have had issues, but most have not. All 3 main stator companies, ES, Rick's, and RMStator use the same pic for their presentation which leads me to believe that they are all using the same manufacturer but putting a different brand on it. When I worked for National Semiconductor we did this all the time with the calculators and watches we built. Some were badged with the NS logo but we also built the exact same product for Sharp and a few other off brands. Identical product, different logos.
Once I get Ursula back up and running the question of selling her will depend on how dependable she is.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

WOW, Electrosport came through. After talking with a nice salesperson named Marlene and sending a few digital pics for comparison, it was determined that it was indeed the wrong stator even though the part number was correct. This was on Tuesday and Wedensday. I didn't think I'd get the new stator until next week but I got a surprise from UPS this afternoon ( they 2nd day aired it to me, no charge) and I now have the new stator and best of all, IT"S THE RIGHT ONE!!!.
The only bad news in this whole affair is that I now have to go on travel next week so I won't be able to work on her till I get back.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement