Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Stator and R/R

Hi,

I was wondering about the question that I have to worry or not about the R/R and the stator of my VN750 from 1984. I read a lot information about these parts on this forum. What if something goes wrong? My bike is still in its original state. She's running fine, no start problems (hot or cold), no backfiring, new iridium plugs, a new battery, new tires (that has nothing to do with this the stator and the R/R, but it makes my bike feel good), new engine oil and a new tail light bulb.

Willem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The charging system is always worth paying attention to on these bikes (or any, for that matter). A couple of things you can do to ease your mind: First, use your voltmeter to check that the system is working properly - you should have 12.6 or so volts cold or at idle, and the voltage should jump up to 13.5-14.5v when you bring the rpms up to around 3-4K. That's a sign of a good system (producing extra to a) help run the bike and b) recharge the battery). Secondly, consider relocating your regulator from under the battery box - check the Verses or look at Bulldog's signature. Easy fix, and keeps the regulator cooler in hot weather. Third, install a voltmeter on your bike - then you can keep an eye on your voltage and be sure that the system is cotinuing to function as it should. Oh, also - not sure if your battery is a maintenance free one, but if it isn't, make sure you check the electrolyte levels weekly - stuff evaporates in hot weather, and that just adds a strain on the charging system that doesn't need to be.

If it goes... well, many of us have been there. Call a tow truck to get yourself home, and then we can work you through the steps of a replacement.

C
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

Just to add one other thing to Cindy's recommendations is to make sure you keep the bike filled with fresh oil (20-50w). It is what keeps the stator cool after all and running even a little low could easily shorten the life of it.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

What voltmeter can I use? I have never seen one before. Where can I buy/order something like this? And how should in connect it?

I have contacted Bulldog two times, but he doesn't answer. I now want to make my own bracket to relocate the R/R. But I don't know the measurements. It seems that I have to get out the R/R, mark the screw points on the bracket and then make holes in it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:07 PM

As far as making a homemade bracket, that's what I did. Pulled the R/R, measured and cut/drilled to size. It's not hard and was the first "fabrication" of parts I have done. It only took me about an hour for the whole thing and I felt it was well worth it. Probably not as good as Bulldog's nice powder coated brackets but I did myself.
There are several types on mountable volt meters available. You will need to decide if you just want a color code indication, i.e. Greed=good, Yellow=marginal, Red=low; or a digital type read out. The LED color based meters are cheap, easy to install, and tend to be weather resistant.
The digital meters are more expensive and most have to be treated to be weather reisistant if they are not specifically made for motorcycles. Hook up is fairly easy as they usually tap into the head light circuit or other normally directly fed power system on the bike. They will come with instructions on how to hook them up.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:25 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbosma View Post
It seems that I have to get out the R/R, mark the screw points on the bracket and then make holes in it.
Thats all I did with mine. I used some spair Alum. bar stock that I had laying around, drilled holes to match up with R/R and a hole to mount it to the left rear foot peg mounting bracket. Easy my man.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbosma View Post
What voltmeter can I use? I have never seen one before. Where can I buy/order something like this? And how should in connect it?

I have contacted Bulldog two times, but he doesn't answer. I now want to make my own bracket to relocate the R/R. But I don't know the measurements. It seems that I have to get out the R/R, mark the screw points on the bracket and then make holes in it.
You want an old one, email me at [email protected] with R/R in the subject line and you can have my now defunct one for a template.

I made mine out of an old hand-saw blade, thin and very resiliant.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:35 PM

BTW- tow very good voltmeters are the Kury and the Kisan ones made specifically for bikes. Neither is cheap but they are both very good units.

http://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=CG-25

http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_battery_gauge.htm
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help!

I've found a voltmeter. It's an analoge one in a round case. See: http://www1.nl2.conrad.com/scripts/w...ide&~cookies=1

Does anyone have ideas about where and how to place the instrument? I'm not that inventive when it comes to technical stuff a I don't want to ruin my bike.

I also still don't know how it works precisely. When I attach it to the head light circuit, does it then monitor how strong the battery is or does it monitor if the battery is charged? Can I attach it directly to the + and - of the battery? And when it's working, how do I read the meter (when is it save to ride with it and when is it not)?

@VulcanRev: you made a bracket out of an old hand-saw blade? It's thin indeed, but is it also strong enough to hold the R/R? If that's the case I can buy a new hand-saw :-) to turn it into a bracket. I only have to replace the bracket after sometime I think, because of the rust on the blade.

Last edited by gwbosma; 05-26-2008 at 03:23 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:55 AM

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1103

I didn't even know this was in the Verses, but this may be what you need (and me, too!) for the wiring question. Also, there's a post somewhere - I tihnk it's in the Verses, but I couldn't find it just now, about getting what you need to build your own bracket from Home Despot. I'll keep looking for it and edit this post if I find it.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement