Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Connection issue right?

I recently went thru all my electrical connections, cleaned, and tightened, though I didn't go into the switches on the handlebar or ignition, and I could have very likely missed a few others...but since I did that, I haven't had one single electrical "blip" with this bike, until today.

I rode to a couple places, after leaving work, none were far, but the bike did get up into normal operating temps, with only about 10-15 minutes between my second and third stop. But at the third stop, when I jumped on to go, I hit the button, and nothing; not even any clicking. Several times I tried, and several times nothing happened. I tried rocking the bike, holding the clutch, turning the bars from side to side, and a variety of combinations of those things, and nothing.

Then just hitting the button again at random, it started right up. It did this once before the day after I brought it home. Between that and what I've read here I decided to go thru the wiring like I mentioned.

But most likely, I missed one or two right? Sounds like just a connection issue doesn't it, more than a battery problem? Has anybody been thru this scenario?

I just searched and found a bunch of hot starts, but this doesn't match that....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Yep, connection, or more specifically, the start button. Went riding again, and again it didn't start, didn't even try. So while I held the button in, I kinda rolled my finger around on it, and it turns out, the far right edge is the sweet spot. The center is a crap shoot, and the left edge is the dead zone. Sooooo, gonna have to open that control assembly and have a look-see....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
It sounds like the contact on the back of the button is worn out. you can fix it with a little dab of JB Weld to make a contact zone.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
can I get some top view, front view, and rear view pics of the seat as well. I am trying to build a seat for my bike, and just looking at various designs to get ideas. I have the main pans roughed out in Fiberglass
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to get into it this weekend.

And you want seat pictures? I don't mind taking some pics for ya, but I can't do it until later today after work. I have a spare stock seat, so do you want pics of the seat alone, or mounted on the bike?

(what happened to your stocker, did you cut it up to make a custom?)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I still have my stocker...I am trying to make a custom following some tips off of http://www.jefferyphipps.com/seat_pans.htm...the seat mounted on the bike would be good. I am mainly looking at the lines of the seat as they match up to the bike. Also can you measure the distance between the Backrest to the front of the Passenger seat.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

I hope these help, I was trying for "lines and measurements". I can probably shoot a few more tomorrow if you like...

(This photo ^ prompted me to clean (better) and paint that R/R)

Last edited by 750Doug; 05-23-2008 at 10:26 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
I hope these help, I was trying for "lines and measurements". I can probably shoot a few more tomorrow if you like...

(This photo ^ prompted me to clean (better) and paint that R/R)

Where did you relocate your R/R i need to move mine but i don't want it to stick out like a score thumb
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 01:12 AM

My button does the same thing. I hate how it won't start at times but oh well LOL

James
1985 vn700 (T'Plana)
Gremlin bell
HD-O shield
saddlebagged
custom made supports
tool bag
extended backrest
Protac backrest
Highway pegs
custom mirrors
custom grips
V&H cruisers
lever covers
DieHard AGM
Kuryakin battery gauge
and LED taillights
marbled

VROC #27169
Tn VROC #134

www.youtube.com/thetrueliljd
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgoff View Post
Where did you relocate your R/R i need to move mine but i don't want it to stick out like a score thumb
Just inside the left side passenger foot peg. In the photo with the words under it, it can be seen just above the words "and paint". That seems to be the place most folks use, although some have varied it.

I saw a picture here some time ago from someone who mounted on the front of the bike, above or below the radiator, (I don't remember exactly). I can't remember who that person is/was on here either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement