Dead on Road/Lost all Electircal Power - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
farm girl

Dead on Road/Lost all Electircal Power

Guys, First thanks for all the encouragement concerning being a newbie and dropping my bike. I’ve got the new bags mounted she looks great. I was planning on providing some pictures and formatting them in my mind while on a short excursion (200 mile) on Sunday.
My first experience with a break down. Husband in front on the Nomad me trailing on the 750 feeling great because I’ve not ridden in weeks it seems like. Bike is running great. The facts ….
We rode about 45 miles took a short break rode another 75 miles to our Son’s took about an hours break then headed home. About 20 miles up the road my bike just died while cruising along at 65 mph. I thought OK Here you go again running out of gas I reached down and turned it to RES (practiced this while sitting still) pulled in on the clutch and hit the starter. Quiet… Nothing. I thought how odd. I’m a farm girl right… used to push starting things…. I judged my speed… let out on the clutch and she ran again for about 2 seconds sputtered and died. Bummer. Coast to a stop. Check to make sure I had it on RES. Yes…
Only then do I notice I have no lights. So I turn off the ignition. Turn it back on. Nothing. Shift to neutral. Nothing. On the side of the road on the hottest day of the year so far,- Husband checks the fuses, the new wiring from relocating the back signal lights other than seeing some corrosion on what I now know to be the Regulator can’t find anything else as obvious. We call one of our sons that live closer to our home and load the baby up and haul her home. We will take a look at Voltages etc tonight after dark and the other chores are done.
and

farm girl
2001 VN 750
Rifle Windshield
Leatherl Lyke bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 04:52 PM

Since you noticed some corrosion on the regulator, remove the wires from it and check the connections. The r/r being mounted below the battery box makes it a good target for leaking battery acid from a wet cell battery, and since you see corrosion I would suspect corroded terminals. That may be the only problem, but check the verses for testing the r/r and stator wires with a multimeter to make sure that everything's in good shape while you're looking at things. Most of us here have gone with the AGM maintenance free batteries on our bikes. There's no battery acid to leak, and it helps with the "hot start" issues that the vn750 is famous for. Another added benefit is that you don't have to remove the seat every week to check the fluid levels in the battery.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

My first thoughts would be one of the battery cables came loose or off.
Is it a maintenance free battery?
Hope ya get it figured out, whatever the troubles are.

Nice to hear you consider 200 miles a short ride!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds to me like a loose connection somewhere. There is a ground lead off the battery that is famous for vibrating loose at the worst possible time. I'd start by checking the connections starting at the battery and working from there. I'd also seriously consider moving the R/R. There are several ways of doing it and it's really very simple. There are several examples in the gallery of where folks have moved their R/R.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 PM

Also check your voltage onthe battery - the last time I had that happen, I thought I'd blown another regulator, but the battery had just given up the ghost. Pulled over for a funeral procession after a long ride, and then - nothing. So, check your voltage, check your connections (as others have pointed out), and then check your regulator.

Someday, I would love it if someone could tell me how to push-start a bike....

C
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Now what

If the battery cables are all tight, next suspect is the ignition switch.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
You can also check the ignition wires for corosion in the switch, those have been problems with some people.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Search Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Also check your voltage onthe battery - the last time I had that happen, I thought I'd blown another regulator, but the battery had just given up the ghost. Pulled over for a funeral procession after a long ride, and then - nothing. So, check your voltage, check your connections (as others have pointed out), and then check your regulator.

Someday, I would love it if someone could tell me how to push-start a bike....
As far as push-starting a bike..
First thing you should do is find some open area so you have enough space to begin the actual pushing. This process is much easier if you have another person doing the pushing or if you find an incline so that you can push yourself while on your bike.

Turn your key to the “On” position and have your bike’s engine stop switch (the one that kills your engine) in the “On” position as well.

Shift your bike to 2nd gear. This way when the bike comes to life, you don’t get jolted out on first gear.

Grab and hold down the clutch lever and proceed to have your bike either pushed by someone else or by yourself down an incline. By the time you hit about 5-10 mph, slowly ease off of the clutch. As soon as you hear or feel the engine come to life, twist the throttle so you let in more gas to get the engine going. Make sure when the engine starts up and you twist the throttle that you hold down the clutch immediately. Otherwise serious injuries may occur if you forget to hold the clutch down and you turn your wrist too much on the throttle. That’s it!

I recommend doing this when you really don’t need to. It’s a good thing to practice and learn before you really need it.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
had the same thing twice.
however the bike just restarted like nothing after 15 minutes of standing still.

later i found my ground cable snapped just resting on top of battery terminal
dealer asked 20$ for factory ground harness (that was a funny converstaion) so i skipped that and just crimped my own out of generic "garden" battery cable (2.5$ in wallmart if my memory serves me right)

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement