R/R Relocation Heat Question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

R/R Relocation Heat Question

I replaced my old battery with a new MF battery this morning hoping it would eliminate my hot start problem. While I was at it I decided to relocate my R/R too. Weather reports was rain for 3 days, but the sun suddenly came out and the clouds disappeared. So instead of getting fancy I did a real "quick and dirty" job. I had planned on tearing it out and making a new bracket over the next few days, but didn't want to loose a chance to ride later tonight. I used a small steel bracket and attached the R/R to the backside of the passenger foot peg. I wrapped the connector with electrical tape to keep out any water should the rain come back. I'll pretty it up later. Not that my '93 is all that shiny. Looks more like a 1903.

The good news is the hot start problem that my bike has had for YEARS seems to be gone with the new MF.

My question is: the R/R gets pretty warm when the bike is idling sitting still. It's not hot enough to burn, but warm enough that you don't want to keep your hand on it too long. Since the R/R is close to the passenger foot peg I don't want my passenger to bump it and freak out on the back when I'm riding.

It's a stock R/R that I'm assuming has never been replaced. Is it normal for the R/R to get really warm?

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I think so, and thats part of the problem; it's buried under the battery box without any airflow/ventilation, and it's compounded by the fact that the goat, or other pipe runs right beneath it, cooking it even more. How much more I don't know, but seems logical enough, especially when stopped and the heat of that pipe rises and surrounds the R/R.

Later model bikes, had it located in a similar spot from the factory, out in the open, by that foot peg. I know that late 80's Interceptors have them up on the side of the "sub frame" just below the seat, again to let air flow across the fins for cooling, as it warms/heats up on it's own.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Took the bike out for a ride. The R/R a lot cooler when I'm moving. Put my daughter on the back and she had too really twist her ankle to get close to the R/R.

The new MF Battery is great. No problems starting. Stopped for gas which is usually an embarassing stop since I have to push the bike off the side and wait 5-10 minutes for it to cool before it will turn over again. Made a few more stops with no problem.

I've had the bike since '95 and asked everyone I could including dealers about the hot start problem, no one could ever give me a cause until I found this website back in April. Thanks for the info.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I had the same hot start problem back in '02 when I got my bike. The MF battery did the trick in fixing it. Back then there was only the Yahoo 750 group...but the advice was the same as here.

We still keep telling folks to replace the stock/wet cell ASAP...not until they do it, do they realize the overall improvement.

We had someone put a thermocouple on the R/R to get some readings. Please remember I am going from memory here...but the R/R got up to 180 degrees under the battery box in heavy traffic on a hot day.
After moving it, the highest recorded temp was 150 F. A 30 degree difference may not seem like much, but with any electrical component, cooler is always better.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:08 PM

Interesting: after doing the r/r I was curious about how hot it gets when in use. I've been able to hold my hand on it without feeling uncomfortably hot.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
We still keep telling folks to replace the stock/wet cell ASAP...not until they do it, do they realize the overall improvement.
To be honest I was a bit doubful that changing out the battery was going to fix it. I will say when I was out riding this afternoon the bike seems like a totaly different machine. Not only started up, but seemed to run a lot smoother too.

This forum is great. Wish I had found it long ago. The hot start and ACCT's problems were driving me nuts. They seems to be fixed now. Thanks again.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH

Last edited by GDouglas; 05-17-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement