Wet riding, lights stay on - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Wet riding, lights stay on

Ok so this has happened twice now, both times after riding in wet conditions. Just noticed(after two hors or so) my lights are staying on. Key in off position, kill switch in off position and my N light, oil sensor light, front running lights and if I switch to my halogen lights those aswell are on, other than disconnecting one of the battery cables, got any ideas on how to fix this? Don't need my battery drained

EDIT: ok so after noticing my HID balast sparking i figure there is a short somewhere in the headlight bucket, unpluging the balast didn't fix it so its something other than that.... i hope this is going easy.

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
Matte black plasti-dip "paint" job.

Last edited by yousername; 04-07-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:57 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Open up the headlight bucket and check your connections first.then look for bare wires

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Open up the headlight bucket and check your connections first.then look for bare wires
i just did that and all the connections seem good, no bad wires either. I started unplugging stuff when i opened the bucket and when i unplugged the big 9 prong connector all the lights shut off, the connector itself looks good and i see no bad wires, could it just be that since it doesn't have any electrical tape/shrink wrap around the base of the connections(bout 1 inch or so of a gap between where the shrink wrap is to the base of the connector) water getting in causes a short? thats really about all i've got for ideas, thinking if thats the issue getting some electrical tape and tapping it up like a mad man should do the trick right?

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:18 PM

I know weird stuff happened when the flasher relay got wet on mine. It was hanging upside down, took the cover off and it had water in it. Hosed it with air and WD40, taped it up, zip-tied it so it won't flip over.

It's an aftermarket LED flasher, so it didn't have the slot to fit on the holder.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
I know weird stuff happened when the flasher relay got wet on mine. It was hanging upside down, took the cover off and it had water in it. Hosed it with air and WD40, taped it up, zip-tied it so it won't flip over.

It's an aftermarket LED flasher, so it didn't have the slot to fit on the holder.
Yea i think two things happened, that 9 prong connector in the headlight got wet causing the light issues, and then possibly something in the ballast got knocked loose and instead of internally grounding, something was touching the case causing it to externally ground causing the sparks i saw when the ballast touched the bike and causing me to get shocked when i touched the ballast. so that 9 prong connector should be dry now, gonna go plug it in and see if the lights come on, if they dont i'll go crazy with electrical tape so it doesn't get wet again, and then tomorrow gonna go get my ballast tested to see if its ****ed to **** or not.

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok so its something other than the 9 prong plug in the headlight bucket, cuz it did it again today and i made sure that those connections in the bucket wont get wet, so im thinking it might be water getting into the switch on the left side handle bars, what do you guys think of that theory?

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 PM

I'm thinking it's the ignition switch staying on. Time to clean and tighten the puck. There's info somewhere, and some videos. Open the switch, catch the springs, clean contacts, stretch springs slightly.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
I'm thinking it's the ignition switch staying on. Time to clean and tighten the puck. There's info somewhere, and some videos. Open the switch, catch the springs, clean contacts, stretch springs slightly.
don't see how it could be the switch... i got a BRAND NEW cylender and puck a few months ago right before winter, but i guess it wont hurt to take it off and see if it needs cleaning and tape the hell out of it to make sure its water tight.

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 PM

Wouldn't think a new one would need anything, but lots of new stuff is toast when you buy it.

I just don't see many ways all that could turn itself on, without first getting power from the ign switch.

2003-21k mi

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 01:08 AM
Ndr

A little confused by your description/wording.

Is it just the headlight staying on, or are all the dash lights staying on too?

It could be an issue with the junction/fuse box. Aside from that, I would second the Ignition switch. How new is it? did you buy brand new, or is it "new to YOU"? May not hurt to give it a cleaning.

As far as the junction box goes, the headlight relay may be getting stuck on. A temp fix to test would be to do the headlight relay bypass. This would cause the headlights to come on as soon as you turn the key on rather then after cranking he engine.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement