Iridium DPR7EIX-9 with Resistor Caps? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Iridium DPR7EIX-9 with Resistor Caps?

Hey Guys,
So this is all to hopefully resolve my POOGs like stuttering issue a few chimed in about in the past. I replaced my ground cable this weekend with some big 4awg cable(all I had time for). This upcoming weekend I'm going to be replacing the wires and plug caps. The rear coil looks like a PITA to get to... anyway! I grabbed a 6' length of non-resistor copper wire, and the LD05F and XD05F end caps. I took a look at my plugs and they don't look bad for it being an '85, only have about 5k on the clock though. I see most people recommending the DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs. I can get them to the tune of $5.50 at advanced.

My question is, would the resistors in the plug ends need to be removed to be used with these plugs since they are resistor plugs? I've seen posts from Wolfie and the like saying they removed the resistors (he was also against the Iridiums though) but haven't seen anything about people removing the resistors in the plug ends with the Iridiums. Just don't want to spend the $22 on plugs to have to remove the resistors in the end caps. I don't think I have the tools to cut a length of bolt to shove in the cap.

Haven't done an oil change so haven't even fired it up yet this year, just getting stuff going, was doing a lot of reading about possible fixes to the POOGS symptoms and most are quick and cheap. My gas cap vent was pretty darn clean, but considering the 'lawnmower filter' fix. I know one of my plug ends' boots was split right down the middle so they're probably worse for the wear.

Thanks!
-G

1985 VN700 - ~5800 miles
-Plexifairing Windshield
-Leather Saddlebags & Front fork tool bag
-Engine Guard
-NGK Iridium Plugs / NGK Plug ends / New plug wire
-AGM Battery
-Kuryakyn ISO style Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfree View Post
Hey Guys,
So this is all to hopefully resolve my POOGs like stuttering issue a few chimed in about in the past. I replaced my ground cable this weekend with some big 4awg cable(all I had time for). This upcoming weekend I'm going to be replacing the wires and plug caps. The rear coil looks like a PITA to get to... anyway! I grabbed a 6' length of non-resistor copper wire, and the LD05F and XD05F end caps. I took a look at my plugs and they don't look bad for it being an '85, only have about 5k on the clock though. I see most people recommending the DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs. I can get them to the tune of $5.50 at advanced.

My question is, would the resistors in the plug ends need to be removed to be used with these plugs since they are resistor plugs? I've seen posts from Wolfie and the like saying they removed the resistors (he was also against the Iridiums though) but haven't seen anything about people removing the resistors in the plug ends with the Iridiums. Just don't want to spend the $22 on plugs to have to remove the resistors in the end caps. I don't think I have the tools to cut a length of bolt to shove in the cap.

Haven't done an oil change so haven't even fired it up yet this year, just getting stuff going, was doing a lot of reading about possible fixes to the POOGS symptoms and most are quick and cheap. My gas cap vent was pretty darn clean, but considering the 'lawnmower filter' fix. I know one of my plug ends' boots was split right down the middle so they're probably worse for the wear.

Thanks!
-G
You have to unscrew and remove the plug ends in order for the spark plug wire boots to fit onto the plugs. Iridiums are the best plug for the bike.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I don't think he was talkng about removing anything from the spark plug itself, but whether he should install resistor spark plug "boots", caps, or whatever you call the female plug thing you shove down on top of your spark plug.... or non resistor boots.

I'd say don't use resistor boots. If the spark plug itself is a resistor type. And even if it wasn't I wouldn't use them anyway....unless you're having a problem with the bikes sound system (we all got one of those right?)

Use the heaviest gauge wire you can with the best insulation.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I don't think he was talkng about removing anything from the spark plug itself, but whether he should install resistor spark plug "boots", caps, or whatever you call the female plug thing you shove down on top of your spark plug.... or non resistor boots.

I'd say don't use resistor boots. If the spark plug itself is a resistor type. And even if it wasn't I wouldn't use them anyway....unless you're having a problem with the bikes sound system (we all got one of those right?)

OK His post was a little confusing ( to me anyway).

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

^ Correct. And crap... I bought those boots because they were the ones that were in the verses. Definitely don't have to worry about the sound system. The only sound I want to hear on my bike is the bike

I know the boots are 5k ohms resistance like the stock ones, not sure about the plugs, I'm guessing about the same. Wonder how hard it is to remove the resistors in the boots and how big of an impact it would have if they weren't removed? Probably about the same as anyone that runs the Iridium plugs in the stock boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
OK His post was a little confusing ( to me anyway).
Sorry about that... I tend to write myself in circles I think

1985 VN700 - ~5800 miles
-Plexifairing Windshield
-Engine Guard
-AGM Battery
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Honestly if you already installed them you should be fine. You're likely over thinking this.
I ran the iridiums with stock wires and the bike ran great. Started fine and ran up to redline with no issues...

You know, if the bike runs fine....then the bike runs fine....don't worry about it.

Last edited by Knifemaker; 04-06-2015 at 07:26 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

You're probably right. I haven't replaced anything yet, but I don't see a way to get in to the resistor on these, perhaps they removed that ability in a newer version of these boots. (No screw of any kind in there that I can remove)

At this point I'm just hedging on if I want to buy the Iridiums, or just replace the boots and wires and use the old plugs. They're NGK's and look good, but could potentially be 20 years old.

1985 VN700 - ~5800 miles
-Plexifairing Windshield
-Engine Guard
-AGM Battery
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Pretty much everyone here has nothing but good things to say about the iridiums...I'd install them, they will be likely the last plugs you ever need to buy...(I'm at a 146,000 miles on them in my Miata)

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I likely will, I'm going to be putting new boots and wires, might as well do the plugs too.

Hopefully between them, the new ground cable, running some seafoam through the tank, and making sure the carb vent hose isn't flopping in the wind, my POOGs symptoms will be gone. The vent cap was clean (suprisingly so) so if this doesn't fix 'er up I'll be at a loss.

1985 VN700 - ~5800 miles
-Plexifairing Windshield
-Engine Guard
-AGM Battery
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Pretty much everyone here has nothing but good things to say about the iridiums...I'd install them, they will be likely the last plugs you ever need to buy...(I'm at a 146,000 miles on them in my Miata)
I agree, pretty much everyone has only good things to say about them. They helped my cold-starts too (Northern Wisconsin mornings are a tad chilly)..

I use iridium plugs in my car too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement