Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to gnon2705 Send a message via Yahoo to gnon2705
startor question

This is different for me. This morning, I was getting ready to go for a ride with a bunch of folks. It was rather cool here, maybe 40 at best. Anyway, I get the bike out of the shed, clean her up, put the key in, hit the starter button, and nothing. I tried jiggeling the key, messing with the starter button, even took the seat off and checked the battery connection, still nothing. I checked fuses, and since I had replaced the starter button last year, I cut the wires, and touched them together, and still nothing. Now after all this, I was a bit put out. So I walked away for a minute or two to make a call to let the folks know I might not make it. Then I went back to the bike, touched the wires together again, and lo and behold, it turned over and started. I stopped the bike, reconnected the wires to the starter button, and it started and ran. It ran fine all day, started every time with no problems at all.
Keep in mind that I just put a sealed battery in it, and it had a good charge in it. I've ridden the bike all week with no trouble.
Any ideas before I have this problem, and tear the thing apart again?
It's a 1985 700. I'm just baffeled.
Ride Safe
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Re: startor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnon2705
This is different for me. This morning, I was getting ready to go for a ride with a bunch of folks. It was rather cool here, maybe 40 at best. Anyway, I get the bike out of the shed, clean her up, put the key in, hit the starter button, and nothing. I tried jiggeling the key, messing with the starter button, even took the seat off and checked the battery connection, still nothing. I checked fuses, and since I had replaced the starter button last year, I cut the wires, and touched them together, and still nothing. Now after all this, I was a bit put out. So I walked away for a minute or two to make a call to let the folks know I might not make it. Then I went back to the bike, touched the wires together again, and lo and behold, it turned over and started. I stopped the bike, reconnected the wires to the starter button, and it started and ran. It ran fine all day, started every time with no problems at all.
Keep in mind that I just put a sealed battery in it, and it had a good charge in it. I've ridden the bike all week with no trouble.
Any ideas before I have this problem, and tear the thing apart again?
It's a 1985 700. I'm just baffeled.
Ride Safe
Wayne
Wayne....it might be the starter switch itself. The key switch, not the 'Start' button. Plenty of stories just like yours...only you're the only one I've ever heard cut the Start button wires...
The weak part is either in the contacts themselves...spray some non-graphite contact cleaner in there and see.
Another possibility is the routing of the switch wires to the coils and electrical connector...sometimes this gets kinked or stretched and when you turn the bars (esp to the left) you lose connection.
See if you can work the harness around and find a short.
I used to get the same thing occasionally...indicator lights but nothing else when you hit the starter.
I did a harness trace this past winter, and finally replaced the damn thing for near $80 from RonAyers....

john m
Somewhere deep in OH....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to gnon2705 Send a message via Yahoo to gnon2705
Re: starter question

Thanks John. I'll get a can of cleaner and give it a try tomorrow. I'll check the wires too. It's an old bike, probably on it's last leg. But can't afford a new one, so I'll keep at it. Hope it won't cost me any more money.
Ride Safe
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement