Question about the blue wire bypass fix for headlight issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Question about the blue wire bypass fix for headlight issues

I'll start by saying a couple things to preface - I am fairly mechanically inclined and like to work on things myself whenever possible; however I am TERRIBLE when it comes to wiring and all other electrical-related issues. It's not that I'm afraid of touching wires or anything... I just never learned about electrical systems and I do not have a good understanding of how everything works. That said, I would like to thank everyone here for all the good information that everyone has provided to help folks like me figure things out without having to pay big bucks to MC mechanics for such simple tasks. THANK YOU!!!

Okay, now for my question. I recently performed the headlight relay bypass trick by moving the blue wire to the empty slot in the 8-pin connector. Success! My headlight seems to be working fine now. My question is, given that this is commonly referred to as a "temp fix", is it okay to leave it like this now? Or will it have a negative effect on some other part of the electrical system? Also, what is the permanent fix? I remember reading about replacing the JB or RLU.... but I don't want to get involved in anything too complicated if it isn't completely necessary.

I should also add that I did replace the OEM battery with a MF battery. I'm sure someone would have asked about that if I didn't mention it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

All I can say is that I did the bypass 3 years ago and have had no problems leaving it that way.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:32 AM

Same here, mine has been bypassed for two years.

I'm curious about what prompted the bypass though. Headlight not working might indicate a stator problem. You've tested the stator?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Giggity!

Garage
The only down side I know of leaving it that was is you have the electrical draw of the headlight when your starting your bike. But if your battery & charging system is up to par, you shouldn't have any long term effect.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I have not tested the stator... I don't really know how to, since I am a rookie with electrical systems. Also I don't own any meters or anything.

The headlight died one morning last September (the bike also stalled for no reason, which i thought was strange), and I lost both high and low beams. Tried replacing the bulb just in case... then I started reading on here and found that the issue was common. I read a post from someone about flicking the starter button to see if the headlight would come on so I tried that and it did come on, but it never seemed to want to come on when starting the bike. So I continued reading and found the blue wire trick. It wasn't until last night that I finally did it and it fixed the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement