amprege - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

amprege

From what I can tell these bikes stock amps is 35a output. Do you have any suggestions that I can do to eliminate any drain on the bike such as going from incandescent lights to LED lights, etc?

My wife is very cold nature and I want to give her the heated suit or at least a vest and socks and possible gloves. Or do I need to go to a high output stator?

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

you can change from incandescent to led bulbs, but one thing you need to remember, our charging system (stator, regulator/rectifier) are designed to output full power all the time.
when you reduce the load someplace, unless you make up that load elsewhere, the r/r has to dump more power as heat, shortening its lifespan and possibly failing, and that may also cause the stator to fail as well.

Now, with a mosfet regulator/rectifier (aftermarket item), they are more efficient at managing the power, and can take the increased workload.

as far as 'heavy duty' or 'high output' stators for our bike, TPE is the only one doing them that I know of. and they are highly recommended and would recommend mosfet regulator at the same time.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:30 AM

Or you can go with a 'series' type R/R. This controls the output of the stator so it only produces whatever the load is. I read somewhere the vn750 stator at max is 22A output.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

yea, 22 amps sounds close to max on the stator. finding a series regulator for the vn750 will be pretty much a custom installation. no one that I know of makes them as a plug and go.

I wish I could get my hands on an actual schematic of the mosfet RR that we use as upgrades. I have seen 'block diagrams' of it, and while its listed as a shunt type, the block diagrams I have seen lead me to believe its more of a series type. One thing it does have is thermal protection, which will shut off the system if the r/r gets too hot.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM

No, not 'plug and go' installation. But <30 minutes for a complete install. 3 wire crimp and solder connectors for the stator. Cut the plug off of output and hook to battery. I mounted mine at buddy peg and all connections were behind the side cover. Heat shrink wire bundles and liquid electrical tape at the heat shrink joints. Might want to splice heavier gauge wires off the stator, and install a 32A regulator, they are only $5 more than a 22A.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Whats really ideal here is simply getting more juice. If you do an alternator mod, you'll have plenty of juice for a hot suit. Its really not that hard. More reliable, a hell of a lot easier & cheaper to change.
I've had another member follow this mod making an improvement from my design. But hey, I was the first one.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 PM

Swapping out my tail and license bulbs for LED, just to sweeten the charge a bit. Added some running lights (incandescent) to the back, will probably convert those later.

Put on the TPE stator and MOSFET in 2013.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 PM

The Alt mod looks like a good one to do. I put on 1000+ miles per month in the 'riding season'. Most on 2 laners and smaller. Would be nice to have a simple fix to charging system problems that could be done in the parking lot of a small town parts store. Was also thinking a cool guard over the belt would make it look "stock".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement